2002 Beta Rev 3 Engine Knocking

akh

I have basic advice for buying anything secondhand; spend the most you can afford and buy the best you can. If you try to save money, unless you are in the trade or somesuch, you usually end up spending more and have a long period with a 'project' rather than a bike!

I know, I had to stop trying to save money because it was costing me a fortune!

That said, it sounds like bottom end, but even top end you are looking at a few hundred quid. I got a 2001 250 Rev-3 for

Tough call. You really need to go see it for yourself. It could be a case where the original owner put really bad fuel in it or the ignition is too far advanced or there is a blocked needle jet in which case you get a good bike from somebody that is just clueless how to adjust. The other case is a mechanical issue where there is a bad bearing or a broken gear tooth or some other mechanical malady that will require many quid to fix.

Impossible for anyone to know without seeing the bike first hand. My advice would be, if it's near enough, to take an experianced mechanic with you to check it out.

As a rule I would say avoid it. When I first got into trials I bought a "cheap" GasGas, the thing nearly drove me up wall, I ended up spending more time fixing it that riding it. I managed to put up with it for a while and saved up some money then spent a couple of months looking around before dropping on a genuine light use bike and paid a bit extra for the privelage. I haven't had any problems so far!

As a rule I would say avoid it. When I first got into trials I bought a "cheap" GasGas, the thing nearly drove me up wall, I ended up spending more time fixing it that riding it. I managed to put up with it for a while and saved up some money then spent a couple of months looking around before dropping on a genuine light use bike and paid a bit extra for the privelage. I haven't had any problems so far!

Agree Mikey Boy. Spend a little more and be patient. There are plenty of bikes used for 5 years by clubmen and thoroughly looked after. Find one like that and you won't go far wrong.

I've also found that bikes that are trialled are more likely to be looked after. You lose marks if the brakes are poor, the tyres knackerd, or rogered bushings stop the suspension working properly, so you fix them. If the bike has just been used for 'fun', these things are far more likely overlooked.

You'll need to be patient with