Chain

lingo75

• 3 weeks later...

But where do honda source their chains from?. I remember when i worked in a m/c shop and a guy came in asking for some honda 2 stroke oil which we had run out off so i told him to buy some ELF 2t as it was the same oil but half the price because elf was sponsoring honda racing and his answer was ' i wouldn't put that crap in my bike' , there is no pleasing some people

Dave

But where do honda source their chains from?. I remember when i worked in a m/c shop and a guy came in asking for some honda 2 stroke oil which we had run out off so i told him to buy some ELF 2t as it was the same oil but half the price because elf was sponsoring honda racing and his answer was ' i wouldn't put that crap in my bike' , there is no pleasing some people

Dave

Sandifords will sell you a honda chain, there what all montesa's come with as standard.

Have a look at the links on a honda chain to see what is stamped, it may be h/m as all genuine honda manufactured parts have it or it could be DID or nothing at all but worth a look as it may save a lot of money

Dave

Have a look at the links on a honda chain to see what is stamped, it may be h/m as all genuine honda manufactured parts have it or it could be DID or nothing at all but worth a look as it may save a lot of money

Dave

The std chain that came with my Repsol is marked Regina on one link,

An Iris chain came as one of the Repsol "Extras" and is a Trial Pro RXL, I fitted that from new and have had no problems with no more stretch than the Std Regina that I ran on my 05 RT.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would add this to the mix. An RK "U" ring chain fits fine on my montesa (and I would suspect any other trials) and a DID "T"ring chain should too. Having come from offroad bikes with o-ring chains that last forever while being dealt way more power on a heavier bike, it just killed me to put a non-oring chain on and have to mess with cleaning and oiling it and still wearing out in no time. The U and T ring chains are newer "narrow" versions of o-rings and are just barely wider than a standard chain, and both claim to have a decrease in friction vs standard o-ring. Sounded perfect to me so I tried it. I went with the RK since they used a standard clip on master link instead of DID using a rivet style. Have had it on my montesa for 2 years without ANY adjustment or lube of any kind. It is effectively maintenance free in trials use from what I can see.