Stolen Bikes

smalley250

I see to often and hear of Trials bikes stolen and wonder if the Clubs or ACU could play a part to help in some form.

Maybe you have to proved and prove youre frame number when joining a club or part of obtaining a ACU licence which must be amended on change of bike. I know alot end up in rivers after a thrashing by scum but i have seen the police turn up at events and remove bikes.

Just seems ashame to see someones hard earnt cash go and some one even buy a stolen bike unknown to them.

Smalley, I'm with you here. Something needs to be done because off road bikes are too easily stolen and not so easily identified.

Way back when I was young, poor and naive, I nearly made a very big mistake. I'm not proud of this story, but it's worth thinking about.

I was new to trials, and had a knackered fantic 175. I was offered via some friends a Beta Zero for the sum of

In road racing, lack of engine / frame no's get you kicked out. The police, I'm told got to race meeting in civvies and admire the bike in the car parks etc. Apparently with some success.

Unfortunately, if a bike is stolen as a donor of internal mechanical parts its not so easy. Maybe wiring and sealing motors, with receipts for repair parts might make a difference.

None of this helps trials I know, but the less attractive these sorts of thefts become, maybe they will move on to something else.

I was repairing a window at a flat that had been broken into a few weeks ago, nothing they thought had been taken, very little mess. The thieves were not interested in i-pods etc, only lap tops. Sat navs are also desirable, you have been warned.

As GrahamJayzee says, it wont stop joyriders, and a new generation is born with monotonous regularity. Edinburgh does have a center where offenders work on bikes, repairing, building etc. Unfortunately this is almost a reward for stealing, though better than continuing to offend.

Apparently, alot of offenders stop when they reach 16, and can be held to account. This may also be down to female distractions etc.

Maybe the government should insist that all bikes are fitted with one of those devices that can be activated when its stolen, some Police cars are fitted with tracking devises. I believe that JCB fit tracker as standard to their machines.

I can remember 15 or so years ago when Road Racing was riddled with pinched bikes, the problem was massive, I once turned up for a meeting at Snetterton and the Police turned up in force and I estimate half the paddock packed up imediately and went home. I beleive things are better now but possibly the problem has only moved onto parts for bikes, bikes still being pinched but sold on in bits.

Same I expect would happen with Trials/MX bikes if something was put in place to check engine numbers/frame numbers, if it ever came off bikes will still be stolen but broke up into parts to sell on. Theres no doubt, although I do make an exception for the vast majority of Trials riders, many competitors know they are buying pinched parts/bikes and for many thats how they fund their racing, and for some others stealing bikes for themselves to compete or sell on keeps them racing.

The best way to cut the figures is to ensure your own bike/bikes are as secure as possible and preferably insured/registered, and make sure you jot down your frame/engine numbers. I very nearly lost two bikes a couple of years ago to theives, we live in the middle of no-where down a single track road and even many locals dont even know there are a few houses down here. I am pretty sure I was followed home from an event as they were obviously only interested in the bikes as the shed next door was unlocked and had chainsaws,mowers and brushcutters inside.

I had what I thought considering where we live good security, a loud door alarm,mortice lock and padlock, the alarm obvioulsy didnt worry them at all as its visible from the outside, the door was levered with a bar breaking the mortice lock and by the time I got out there with me naughty stick the easiest lock (padlock) was all what was left intact. I now have a new mortice lock/4 heavy duty padlocks, 2 alarms and two sturdy doors to go through before they can get to Mecca, yer if they really want the bikes they will have them but making it bloody hard as possible will put them off. Its alot easier to break in the house than the workshop so not much else I can do but I have done pretty much everthing I can.

Trials clubs will never have enough time or man power to check bikes engine/frame numbers it will never happen, the best we can do is to ensure our bikes are as secure as practical.

Take you wheel out of your bike once in the garage/shed, get a good chain and padlocklock and lock the wheel to the frame, Trials bikes are light enough to carry but real awkward with a loose wheel dragging three feet behind it. Yer its abit of a pain but a 30 second job to take out and far less agro than loosing it one night.

Edited by The Addict

I always register my bikes now after loosing a nearly new honda cr 250 in the early 90's. it took me years to get back into a position of being able to buy a good bike again. yes , its a hassel to do, but the benifits are well worth it, for one its a damn site easier to insure, and all the frame and engine numbers are traceable by the police if the worst happens.

paul.

Read a item in the press a few years ago. 3 motorcross bikes on a trailer, boys stopped at a supermarket and when they came out the trailer had been stolen. No one saw anything ect ect. We need to be carefull not to give the opportunity to the scumbags, even in kiwi land

Pete

I always register my bikes now after loosing a nearly new honda cr 250 in the early 90's. it took me years to get back into a position of being able to buy a good bike again. yes , its a hassel to do, but the benifits are well worth it, for one its a damn site easier to insure, and all the frame and engine numbers are traceable by the police if the worst happens.

paul.

In case anyone isnt aware - off-road bikes can be registered for free-

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf85.pdf