Lochaber British Championship.

trialscot

Just noticed a comment on Lochabers website about unauthorised riding, and of course we heard many similar ones on these boards after the SSDT and the Pre-65 SSDT.

This is a subject that is almost certainly going to come up more and more following the "right-to roam" public access movement and all it entails.

It does not seem to be generally known but many private landowners receive huge amounts of public money for various schemes involving land management, tree regeneration and, most importantly, unrestricted public access for all forms of recreation. This can involve such activities as canoeing down salmon rivers and trail biking over the hills during the deer stalking season with no redress for the p****d off fishermen and hunters.

The interesting question must be that, when a club obtains permission to run a trial on a given day in a given area , does the club have exclusive use of the ground with, consequently, the right to exclude other members of the public from enjoying their own form of recreation, whether on foot or on a bike.

I'm led to believe that a landowner has little say in such matters but I'm looking forward to hearing the TC pundits views!.

Guest Scottie

If those lads wanted to enjoy their recreational sport I would have been happy to give them entries to the Expert Class. Next year I will contact the club and if we can accomodate any Lochaber rider then we would be very happy for them to compete.

Yours sincerely

Sandra Macdonald

In many instances the landowner only gives permission to clubs to organise events on the understanding that no other vehicles will be involved.

BIG JOHN,

Do landowners really have a leg to stand on on this issue or are they passing the buck to clubs to enforce an unenforceable "no other vehicles" rule?. Look at the wide open spaces round last weeks event and the many points of access.

The SACU enforced the number plate rule to prevent unauthorised riders following a trials course but really, how wide is a "course" out on the moors , one wheel width?. And if you politely tell an "unauthorised rider" to p*** off he may well tell you that he rides his bike here every second Sunday so you can p*** off yourself!. (It happens!!.)

And what would Cherie Blairs Human Rights Commission make of it all!?.

Sorry to go on like this but the nichts are fair drawin' in and there's sod all on telly tonight. :D

he may well tell you that he rides his bike here every second Sunday so you can p*** off yourself!. (It happens!!.)

Yeh Right oh "trialscot". I am not a man for fighting talk, but there are a few of us that they would be a bit reluctant to say "P*** Off" to :D

Another perspective on this and I posted a message about this on the SSDT forum, at this years event my brother collided with a rider coming when we were coming down the track into Kinlochleven, with an illegal rider coming the opposite way going like stink. This nearly put him out of the event, which costs a clubman rider in excess of

Guest Scottie

Trialscot

As I don't know your age, lets just imagine your son was out riding following the bikes during the Scottish and was injured due to another competitor. Your son is not insured and what about the other rider. This is what it's all about - health and safety.

Does anyone know where I can find a full set of results from yesterdays Lakes trial? I think James Lampkins in the lead, Sam Connor 2nd and Jarvis 3rd.

Thanks

Sandra

Edited by Scottie

Maybe I'm thick but I can't figure out how a perfectly sensible thread on public access issues and how they will increasingly affect trials has turned into a pretty bitter personal attack. :D

Our club usually states that a competitor riding in the reverse direction of the course will be excluded, and very rightly so. The point I think trialscot is making is that do we or anyone else have any real authority to stop anyone else from riding their bikes on or near where we are running our trial.

An obvious example that springs to mind is that if you go to almost any Inverness trial at Cannich you'll be dodging bikers and quad riders who have nothing to do with the event but are just there for a day out riding. I've seen a few near misses there but presumably it's a public bit of land and they can't be stopped?.

BJ/idmcc sec ???.

Guest Scottie

No I can officially verify that is wasn't our Wonderboy or Techno.

We had different observers on the practise day so that Sunday's observers could go round and watch the practise. So Wonderboy and Techno if you want to give an official hand next year then you know who to call.

Sandra

Maybe I'm thick but I can't figure out how a perfectly sensible thread on public access issues and how they will increasingly affect trials has turned into a pretty bitter personal attack.

Nothing personal, just facts :D:angry:

BIG JOHN has mentioned about Quad Bikes etc. at local trials and I have seen Enduro bikes across the moors in Yorkshire, you will not stop these, they are not there following the event. They just happen to stumble on it when they reach a section

What I and many others are getting at is the bikes that are deliberately following the trial on their bikes or using the ground to ride their bikes when they know damn well there is an event on, these are the people that it will be easier to stop than the ones above.

All I am saying for the sake of the LAND, THE SPORT, THE COMPETITORS it is only right that these people (who obviously don't give a s**t about who they upset) are stopped !!!!!

Guest Scottie

Techno and Wonderboy,

You could be entered into the youth class but they ride the expert route. The expert class isn't easy and to be fair to you is much harder than anything you would have competed in so far. If you wan to experience trials then go to a YMSA event, I know you will see the difference. Gary's first event in England was at a YMSA Trial, he dropped 83 and to our astonishment won his group. To be honest if you want to see the level you should be aiming for then English trials has to be the start. I hate to say this but unfortunately for us it's a fact.

WELL THE BOY HAS A BIKE AND FROM WHAT HE TOLD ME HAS TAKING PURCHASE OF A BETA 05 OF HAVEN WHICH WILL BE ARRIVING SOON

AS FOR THE RIDING WELL WERE DO I START THERES SO MUCH TO SAY

WELL KEEP IT SHORT AND TO THA PIONT HE CAN RIDE A BIKE ON A FLAT SURFACE BUT PUT HIM NEAR ANY ROKS OR BURNS HE CANT RIDE

DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION BOOFONT

AND GAVIN CANT HIT BACK ANYMORE BECAUSE HE SAID HE WOULD STOP HITTING BACK AT MY COMMENTS WHEN I WAS BEATING HIM BY 20-30 PIONTS AT A CLUB TRIAL THIS NOW SEEMS TO BE THE CASE SO SHHHH

GAVIN :D

I've deleted the final comments to this thread as it appears to have been a genuine oversight and I don't think "naming and shaming" is appropriate in this instance. I do hope that nobody "leaves" over this.

I'm also going to close the thread to avoid any further comment on it.