Clake Fitted To 4rt

oz thumper

I am not sying it doesn't work or isn't adjustable just simply there is never two identicle sections where you use the same amount of rear brake and clutch, unless I've been doing it wrong for 30 years?

Two quick examples a little blip before a step section at the wallace, no brake at all requred and another when just rear brake and no clutch. I could go on and anyalyse every section but you get the idea.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt it would work for my riding, Im often slipping the clutch and using the rear brake at the same time. when up against rocks ill be slipping the clutch while on the brake and when doing turns I use the rear brake to control how slow or fast I go rather than the clutch.

however, Would it be possible to fit it with the normal pedal aswell? if so I might be interested...

Tom

HI Tom,

I spoke with Owen who invented the CLAKE, yes technically it is possible to set up in tandem with the rear brake pedal but definitely not recommended.

The only bikes that have retained the rear pedal are a couple of stunt bikes where they need the pedal to control hands of wheelies.

I only want to control "feet off" wheelies in sections !!!!

Oz you mentioned that you moved your riding position onto the balls of your feet.

I have always ridden this way and because of this I have never used a back brake as i cannot reach it. I have always found that I can move around on the bike with much more freedom with my feet in this position and my body weight is also further to the rear assisting grip.

I must explain that I also only ride Tlr's now and use the engine braking of the fourstroke and even in my younger days it was a Seeley!

re read my question it refers to the quote in the box not the topic here.

If you mean Shamano. Brake works conventionally, gears by pushing the lever up or down - Sir.

But you can change down and brake at the same time - Sir

I am not sying it doesn't work or isn't adjustable just simply there is never two identicle sections where you use the same amount of rear brake and clutch, unless I've been doing it wrong for 30 years?

Two quick examples a little blip before a step section at the wallace, no brake at all requred and another when just rear brake and no clutch. I could go on and anyalyse every section but you get the idea.

HI Nigel,

If you are referring to bike riding I would not dare to suggest you have been "doing it wrong for 30 yrs" , maybe it is me that has been doing it wrong for just on 50 years, but with this set up have found that I can do it better !!

But as usual you make a good point, in fact if you choose to move the clutch finger inboard a few mm then you can use the clutch with effectively no brake, however you are right that you cannot use the rear brake without the clutch.

When I started in trials in the UK most of us used the decompressor on the two strokes rather than the back brake as it was more effective and you could hear when the motor was locking up and hence the back wheel and of course left the clutch engaged.

When I got my Greeves new in 65 I nearly didn't go ahead with it as the Challenger head and barrel didn't have provision for installing a decompressor valve, however I adapted my riding style to fit in with the new bike and soon was getting better trial placings as the bike was over all an improvement on the previous ones.

Point is that if you change the bike set up you usually have to change your technique . If you often use the rear brake an no clutch, the fitting of the Clake would require a change to your riding technique, will that make you ride better of worse? I don't know.

Matt Newland has I am sure changed his technique a little, but in his case, as with mine, has seen an improvement in his results.

p.s have one of those bl---y stupid Montesa brake pedals for sale !!!!

HI Nigel,

If you are referring to bike riding I would not dare to suggest you have been "doing it wrong for 30 yrs" , maybe it is me that has been doing it wrong for just on 50 years, but with this set up have found that I can do it better !!

But as usual you make a good point, in fact if you choose to move the clutch finger inboard a few mm then you can use the clutch with effectively no brake, however you are right that you cannot use the rear brake without the clutch.

When I started in trials in the UK most of us used the decompressor on the two strokes rather than the back brake as it was more effective and you could hear when the motor was locking up and hence the back wheel and of course left the clutch engaged.

When I got my Greeves new in 65 I nearly didn't go ahead with it as the Challenger head and barrel didn't have provision for installing a decompressor valve, however I adapted my riding style to fit in with the new bike and soon was getting better trial placings as the bike was over all an improvement on the previous ones.

Point is that if you change the bike set up you usually have to change your technique . If you often use the rear brake an no clutch, the fitting of the Clake would require a change to your riding technique, will that make you ride better of worse? I don't know.

Matt Newland has I am sure changed his technique a little, but in his case, as with mine, has seen an improvement in his results.

p.s have one of those bl---y stupid Montesa brake pedals for sale !!!!

Not convinced at all.

Who is matt newland?

For those who can't see it's use in trials, not here to convince you - same as fuel injection and programmable throttle bodies etc. - Just passing on that it works great for me. ( And apparently Matt Newland who took out the A grade championships in Victoria and Tasmania last year!!)

As previous post, Matt swapped over to the CLAKE some time ago, don't know him personally but he has some notes on the Clake web site, I should have made clear that he won the Championships with a Clake equipped bike.

Despite of or because of?

I thought the Luddites came from the North ????

You would have to ask Matt, as he is not a works rider I assumed that he used the CLAKE because he felt it gave him an advantage.

I use it because I prefer it and paid good money for the privilege, they ain't cheap !!

I'm not here to sell it, just passing on that the technology works and on my 4RT for reasons that I don't understand the clutch action is smoother and in roll back mode neutral is much easier to select when stationary.

If you are over this way give me a hoi and you are welcome to borrow my bike.