Gasgas 300 Pro Starting Problems

mjb

Hi all,

I have a GasGas 300 Pro 05 and have trouble starting it after its got warm e.g half way through a trial when the bike is warm and i'm waiting to go into a section and it wont start. I have changed the stator and voltage regulator. I have also adjusted the pick up sensor so its as close as it can be and fitted a lightly bigger choke jet but none of thes have really helped. Am I right to assume that its electrical due to the nature of electrical compoenents? If so is there any way of checking what resistance I should be getting - if you could explain insimple tesrms I'm no Sparky

Cheers

Hi all,

I have a GasGas 300 Pro 05 and have trouble starting it after its got warm e.g half way through a trial when the bike is warm and i'm waiting to go into a section and it wont start. I have changed the stator and voltage regulator. I have also adjusted the pick up sensor so its as close as it can be and fitted a lightly bigger choke jet but none of thes have really helped. Am I right to assume that its electrical due to the nature of electrical compoenents? If so is there any way of checking what resistance I should be getting - if you could explain insimple tesrms I'm no Sparky

Cheers

Get an NGK BPR5EIX plug and gap it to .024" and also, check all electrical connections (including the plug cap) and clean and re-fasten the grounds.

Let us know if that helps.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running a NGK BPR5EIX plug for a few weeks now, I tweeked the gap for this weekend to give it a go. Verdict - on a fairly warm trial for UK in Feb (12deg) was fine to start with but once again when it was warm stopped the engine whilst I was in a que for 2 minutes and then it took about 30 kicks to start again!!!! I checked the grounds screw, is there only one in the frame near the steering head? Other than starting when warm the bike runs like a dream - no problems at all when it is running. If I do stall it which is rare it starts straight away!

Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi MJB,

These are always difficult ones to solve.

I think the 05 model has the Ducati ign system. These work best with about 4 thou air gap between pick up sensor and flywheel. Also, check to see the LHS main bearing has not failed (up and down play) which would then allow the mag (flywheel) to perhaps touch the pick up sensor while rotating when heated up which could explain your symptoms. If you have changed the stator, then you would also have a new pick up coil. I can't remember, but is the Ducati voltage reg separate from the HT coil - I think it is. If so, can you try a friends HT coil.

Another area to check is the reed valves, they can splinter at the ends.

Also, check for dirt in all of the carb passages, remove the needle jet to blow this area out too.

Lastly, the LHS crank seal may be leaking in air, perhaps more so as the motor heats up, particularly in the unusual Feb heat wave that you are experiencing. If this is leaking, then there may be tell tale signs of oil mist around the seal area behind the stator.

Hope this helps, PeterB.

Why have you assumed that its electrical???. Have you tried using the choke even when hot?? If it starts then maybe your pilot circuit is too lean. I have to use my choke often as the pilot circuit is lean on these bike to help throttle response.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '07 300 and I have to choke it often on a hot engine. Wife's '06 280 is the same way, I have placed richer pilots in both of them which does help. Wife has more trouble than I do but the bike outweighs her so she has trouble getting a good hard kick. Rule of thumb, if I kick it twice and it doesn't start I choke it. The worst seems to be as you say after sitting cooling off while you check out a section.

Craig