Fitting An 06 Tank To An 07 Frame

neo

Us Rednecks would use a BFH (Big ****ing Hammer)

Where exactly is the tank contacting the frame?

Is it possible the new frame is just slightly tighter on the sides and a good firm push would make the tank slide into place?

Heat gun may work, but for some reason my brain is screaming BAD IDEA! with heat and flammable vapors and all. But the heat source is not an open flame...........................I dunno maybe bad idea.

My 2000 for some reason, age of tank or the fact that frame was knackered and rewelded, my tank did not fit all the way down at the seat area. My fix was to drill a new hole for the top mounting bolt closer to the steering head, in effect moved the whole tank forward and up.

Us Rednecks would use a BFH (Big ****ing Hammer)

Where exactly is the tank contacting the frame?

Is it possible the new frame is just slightly tighter on the sides and a good firm push would make the tank slide into place?

Heat gun may work, but for some reason my brain is screaming BAD IDEA! with heat and flammable vapors and all. But the heat source is not an open flame...........................I dunno maybe bad idea.

My 2000 for some reason, age of tank or the fact that frame was knackered and rewelded, my tank did not fit all the way down at the seat area. My fix was to drill a new hole for the top mounting bolt closer to the steering head, in effect moved the whole tank forward and up.

What have you got in your tool box apart from hammers ?

Ya know the typical Redneck Tool Box

Hammers ------4 lb sledge, Ball peen, 16 oz Claw, rubber mallet.

Adjustable wrench ----- SAE and Metric :thumbup:

Vise Grips -------3 sizes

Pliers -------slip joint, channel lock, needle nose.

:D

Seriously,

The usual combo wrenches SAE & Metric, Allen wrenches SAE & Metric, Screw drivers yada yada yada.

Ya know all the proper tools to do the job right, or at least very close.

Edited by ZIPPY

Nylon is a thermoplastic and not a thermo set plastic so it can be heated and formed to an extent. However are you sure that this tank is nylon? I don't know thats why i am asking. Nylon swells with fuel and water. I thought that these were Polly Ethelyn. Regardless both can be heated and moved a bit. Don't go nut and try to keep it below 350 degrees. Most nylons melt around 450 but get soft around 300 degrees. PE is about the same with temperature if not slightly lower in temp. Regardless most of these tanks have a memory so if you heat and move it don't be surprised if it bounces back to where it was in the future. Probably after you have set it into the frame. This is where Zippy's pry bar is most usefull. Get her in there! Enjoy the new frame.

--Biff

Thanks for the feedback so far gents.

Hard to describe without a photo, but standing over the tank and looking down, its stars rubbing about 3 inches down the curved tube (from the top) on the left hand side. And that continues down for a further 3 inches....this is the area on the tank I want to heat (after I clean all the petrol out :thumbup: ).

I have two 06 frames here (and the 07 frame) which helps with the comparison. But from what I can see on the 06 frame. Looking down at to two parallel (curved) tubes, the high part of the left hand tube has more of a curve in it than the right hand one. And the same applies to the 06 tank profile too. It is more curved on the left hand side than it is on it

Neo Posted Today, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far gents.

Hard to describe without a photo, but standing over the tank and looking down, its stars rubbing about 3 inches down the curved tube (from the top) on the left hand side. And that continues down for a further 3 inches....this is the area on the tank I want to heat (after I clean all the petrol out laugh.gif ).

I have two 06 frames here (and the 07 frame) which helps with the comparison. But from what I can see on the 06 frame. Looking down at to two parallel (curved) tubes, the high part of the left hand tube has more of a curve in it than the right hand one. And the same applies to the 06 tank profile too. It is more curved on the left hand side than it is on it

I'm sure the 07 tanks were 3 litres capacity, 06 about 2.5 litres.

Yes that correct scudo and that also puts more of the fuel lower down in the tank. I've never liked the way the 06 tank provides a big clearance area above the carb. Almost like Sherco were considering putting something big there at some time?....fuel injection maybe? :D

Best of balance.

Neo

I am just not sure about any of this!!!!! Biff made some sound pointers, but without anything to test it on? Well, I would be really careful.

Even my '07 tank fit the '07 frame tightly in the areas you describe and they had to be pushed down in the rear which results in a crease in the lower right mid section. Most I have seen have been this way from day one.

As mine has grown a bit over time, it is quite tight now. The lower section is within 1/8 in. of the muffler and the heat does not seem to phase it. But I really should put a bit of heat reflective material there.

I have always heard the tank material was nylon, but I know of no way to confirm this. What information I was able to read on the subject suggested that nylon tanks had possibly better permiability charictaristics than some other plastics, which may explain why they are able to keep paint on them and keep stickers from peeling.

That is all I can tell you.

MC

Good point about the tank being so close to the muffler and the fact there should be some heat reflective material there. I've never noticed my tank go soft around there...although the fuel would be dissipating a lot of the heat so I don't believe it would get anywhere near the 300 degrees mentioned by biffsgasgas.

I've got the bike fully assembled now. The tank went on (with a good hard push) but there's still a 4mm gap on both (lower half) sides and the rear fender is over lapping the tank on either side of it's front wings. This is really looking like it would take more work than a heat gun could muster.....so I'm considering a new 07 tank when I can afford it. :D

Anyone got an 07 tank they'd like to sell?

Best of balance.

Neo

Good point about the tank being so close to the muffler and the fact there should be some heat reflective material there. I've never noticed my tank go soft around there...although the fuel would be dissipating a lot of the heat so I don't believe it would get anywhere near the 300 degrees mentioned by biffsgasgas.

I've got the bike fully assembled now. The tank went on (with a good hard push) but there's still a 4mm gap on both (lower half) sides and the rear fender is over lapping the tank on either side of it's front wings. This is really looking like it would take more work than a heat gun could muster.....so I'm considering a new 07 tank when I can afford it. :D

Anyone got an 07 tank they'd like to sell?

Best of balance.

Neo

Why not send an e mail to the factory explaining changing the frame because of cracking and try to get one free / cheap.