Anybody Else Struggle With 348 Exhaust?

spokerider

Well, I'm starting to reassemble the 348. Have a new piston in a freshly bored cylinder, got the cylinder and head on today.

Now for the god-forsaken exhaust...... I struggled getting it off when dissassembling the engine, in fact, I couldn't remove the exhaust until I removed the clyinder first.

Today, I forgot to position it in place between the frame and back wheel, and between the front frame downtubes, before installing the cylinder. Can a guy get it on by first removing the rear wheel and rear fender [ thus allowing room to manouver it fore and aft whilst getting the front pipe aligned and bolted up ]?

I don't really want to have to remove the head / cylinder again just to get the exhaust back on.........I'd rather remove the rear wheel and fender if necessary. Anyone got an easier method? It's like a puzzle of sorts.

Also, I want to install an ignition condenser [ inline with the black wire going to coil ] up under the frame / fuel tank. Does the condenser on the stator have to be disconnected first, or will it hurt to have two condensers connected at once? What rating, or microfarad does a 348 require?

Thanks,

Spoke.....

Hi

pipe should feed in from the front fairly easily,

disconnect the original condensor and remove it

use any car type condensor the only criteria i look for is that it already has a bracket on it as i'm to lazy to make one

cheers helm

Hi

pipe should feed in from the front fairly easily,

disconnect the original condensor and remove it

use any car type condensor the only criteria i look for is that it already has a bracket on it as i'm to lazy to make one

cheers helm

Everyone says to remove the old condenser when you add one at the coil, but I didn't on my 349 and it starts and runs well!

I don't doubt that it can do that, but i would remove the old condenser. One way a condenser fails is to go into a "high leakage" mode, which can allow more of the ignition energy to leak out to ground instead of being used in the coil to produce a nice big spark. I would imagine that having 2 condensers in the circuit increases the total amount of leakage possible (i have not tested this, but am just guessing. I should dust off the oscilloscope and try to remember how to use it...screw it :dunce: ). When one of the 2 condensers fail (goes into high leakage mode) the second condenser is not going to help you.

I am just a hack that a number of years ago was a pretty pathetic physics student, so if i have misstated anything, someone please correct me!

I

I am just a hack that a number of years ago was a pretty pathetic physics student, so if i have misstated anything, someone please correct me!

Dont worry, someone will, if required.

Everyone says to remove the old condenser when you add one at the coil, but I didn't on my 349 and it starts and runs well!

I removed the condenser wire from the points and just tucked the pig-tail end of the wire up out of the way, leaving the condenser in place on the stator. Wired a new condenser under the tank next to the coil on the 348. Seems to work.