Bleeding A 2pot Rear Brake?

shercoman2k8

Right guys, had a heavily corroded bleed bolt, went to loosen it with some heat and wd40 and it just snapped clean off, filed it down and left it for my old man to get the bolt out (just so I have someone to blame when it goes wrong) Anyway, he comes in saying he snapped the extractor..

Really cant afford to have it spark eroded out so is there any other methods of bleeding? Someone mentioned putting a dab of grease on the banjo holes and loosening it off? this should let air out under pressure?

Could I hang the bike, remove the master cylinder cap and tap the brake hose and caliper?

For the front brake I wind the adjuster right out and then just slowly pump the lever in and out... doesn't involve using the bleed bolt? This doesnt appear to work on the rear.. Where (if there is) is the adjuster for the rear pedal?

Any other methods?

Cheers guys!

It is risky, but try placing a 6mm (10 outside) nut over the broken nipple, then MIG weld the remaining bits to the nut through the hole. If you are lucky it will take and come right out, if not? You have a nutty screwed caliper! :rotfl:

Had similar problem on a Gas Gas.I removed the brake pedal and push rod,used a T handle allen wrench as the push rod to get full travel from the master cylinder,and bled the air out thru the banjo bolt.Keep the reservoir topped up with fluid,and fingers crossed. Cheers Mal

Cheers guys, tried the allen key method, tried gravity bleeding over night... still nothing, ordered a new caliper though as I appear to be buggered! Will try your method Mark and just keep the caliper as a spare!

That shall be delaying my plans for an 09 for a while...

New calipers here, big thanks to Rathmell. Shoved it on overnight for me!

Now, how the hell do I bleed this thing?

Edit: Bled, not much pressure in it though, pistons are only moving about 5mm... Maybe I need to adjust the push rod? How do I do this?

Edited by shercoman2k8

New calipers here, big thanks to Rathmell. Shoved it on overnight for me!

Now, how the hell do I bleed this thing?

Edit: Bled, not much pressure in it though, pistons are only moving about 5mm... Maybe I need to adjust the push rod? How do I do this?

It would probably help if you could elevate the front wheel, then use a 60cc syringe(pet or animal supply) and hose to the nipple and to push fluid (and air) back through the system, then lock the bleeder down and try it!

Don't mess with the rod if it in adjustment! :thumbup: