08 Rev 3 Engine Noise

kwackerzak

I recently bought a 2008 beta 250 and im concerned about a noise coming from the engine, sounds like a ssshhhh kind of noise that gets louder as I rev the engine. I asked a few people at a trial today and a couple of them said it sounds like the mains are on the way out and others said theres nothing to worry about. I have taken the flywheel cover off and there is no play on the flywheel but when I rock it back and forth there is a slight rattle coming from behind it, is this normal? Can anybody shed any light on this before I have it stripped down.

Hi kwackerzack,

Could well be the main bearings have worn - at this stage in the bikes life it would be very likely due to having had the bike drowned in a stream at some stage and not cleaned out the water properly or soon enough. Then again, hard to tell without listening to it, ask a learned friend. As for your rear brake, you would be ok to use hot water from a kettle poured over the lever before bending back into shape, the aluminium work hardens very quickly so you may need boiling water 2-3 times when bending.

Bye, PeterB.

Cheers Peter. I have just noticed that the gearbox oil is white when looking through the little glass on the casing, I suspect that this is a water pump seal problem but could this be causing a whiring noise?

This is not a good sign! I would recommend the Beta forum as this could get involved!

Hi kwackerzack,

Cope has a good point, best to post this on the Beta forum. White gearbox oil could be from a previous drowning (water getting sucked into the gearbox when the motor is hot and dropped in a stream) or from the water pump seal. I have not worked on a Beta before so am unable to advise on the history of parts wearing, also I don't know if the 08 motor uses the gearbox oil to lube the clutch side main bearing. Also, ask some of the lads at a local trial, they would be in the know.

Bye, PeterB.

There seems to be a mains issue with later Rev3s now. Not sure why, older engines were okay.

However don't confuse the noise with the primary drive whine. All Betas get this eventually.

Some sooner & louder than others. Apart from the noise, its nothing to worry about & pricey to fix if you're a perfectionist...