Rev 3, Any Faults?

marky g

I ride a 2002, and I have never had any problems. I just do the usual maintenance to keep it sweet. One mod I would recommend is the float bowl, it is sold by BVM and keeps a constant supply of fuel to the main jet, once you fit it you can feel the difference especialy when going up hill climbs etc..... :D:D

Float Bowl Mod at BVM (near the bottom of the page)

I had an 02 Rev for about 6 months, then got a new 04, and hopefully tomorrow or Saturday a new 05. So I am Beta mad.

They are brilliant bikes, I've had monts and gassers before but nothing compares to that smooth engine and soft suspension and reliability.

I have had no problems, only a leaky carb on the 02 which was fixed by Lampkins.

A couple of guys I ride with have had stator problems but was sorted under warranty. I have had no problems with mine, just simple maintenance, stand and ride.

I would say the 270 is slightly smoother than the 250 and has a little more power lower down. I am not a brilliant rider so power aside I go for the 270 because of the extra smoothness.

Hey Marky G - All the Beta's have been very good - the latest offering is the best yet. The only flaw with the 04 is the rubber centre muffler mount - this was supposed to be a cure for the previous " Silent Bloc" breakage , but it is in fact worse - I have fitted the old style mount with no further problems- take care when tightening up the outside screw that holds the muffler - ie: Do not overtighten.

Hi Marky G...

I like my 02 Rev3 250..but I reckon the 04 is much better to RIDE.

Problems I've had with 02 are ....Silent block (rubber exhaust end can mount)..has broken 3 times...(Cheap though..so just make sure you have a spare one ready)

Leaking gearbox oil. (gasket seems to shift after hitting your bash plate hard :D )

Bash plate is very hard to get off withouht g-clamping it.

Many off the threads into the frame are like putty!..particularly the rear bash plate bolts....which becuase they are not countersunk like the Montesas..keep catching on rocks...their heads then round off..and they sometimes work themselves out of the same crappy thread. Make sure you thread lock them..and if poss. modify to countersunk bolts of rear of bashplate.

Otherwise...(and these are all VERY small niggles in my book) it is a really good bike.

Oh and the rubber from my carb to airbox perishes VERY quickly..but maybe thats something to do with the humidity here??

Regarding the sump guard bolts replace them with Socket Head Cap Bolts (Allen key bolts but with a dome head) and if the thread becomes a problem (never has happened to me) get some Helicoil inserts in there.

But all said and done the Beta is fantastic. but I am biased which is very easy to be when it comes to Beta's. :D

Gearbox oil, mostly leaks from the clutch cover gasket..(cheap to replace..but a pain since you have to take the bash plate off..due to the bash plate rubber being in the way)

Good idea about the nuts PA..but I'm not very experienced with Helicoil..and I think if I get it wrong once..in an aluminium frame it might end in tears? :D

Just had a quick blast on my new 05.

Brilliant brakes, much better feel, dead easy to do a stoppie.

Seems smoother although I thought that last year when I got on my 04.

Looking forward tomorrow to blast up some big hills!

Cheers Guys, Thats given me a few points to look out for when buying one, I had an old beta zero in the the early 90's and the bash plate on that was a pain to get off.....I always thought it looked a bit thin and it had got slightly bent, hence the struggle to get the bugger on or off.

Thanks once again :D

I considered the Beta when I got my Sherco. I would still look again at them next time I change.

I rode Tom Sagar's new 04 (before he modded anything) and liked it, but it did seem to take more out of my arms than the Gasser and Sherco. Anybody found that, or changed anything to combat that???

The only thing anybody seems to mention whan they talk about any Beta problems is the stators. Is that sorted now?

Also seen two of them shear off the pin that the chain adjuster pushes up against, but maybe I saw the only two that ever did that :banana:

My only other concern when I was looking was the way that so many of them seem to take a hell of a lot of clearing out and some just don't seem to clear out, and the fact that fuel seems to pour out when they're not vertical (I understand there's a mod for that).

Even though I've never owned one, plenty of people round here own them, and it's the one bike that seems to keep people coming back. It seems like once you've had a Beta, you'll tend to stay with them.

And I must admit, if I was entering the SSDT or the Scott, from what I've seen, I'd probably prefer to have a Beta under me than anything else if I'm quite honest, maybe followed by a Mont.

That's not knocking the Sherco mind you which has given me a full year of totally problem free riding under considerable strain. :banana:

I know of at least one rider that decided that the SSDT was not far enough to truly test the reliability of the Beta, so he added a fair few miles on to make it a bit harder.

:P Eh Kinell?

P.S. Marky - You need a 270 Lard-4rse ;)

Edited by Bikespace

Ah!...thanks Bikespace..you just reminded me..what I forgot from my previous post.

THe pin that the chain adjuster buts against is also buggered on my bike. Its yet another place on the Beta where the threads just dont seem strong enough.

I still love mine to bits ..but that and the bash plate fixings reall p*** me off...since its otherwise VERY good. Oh..and the exhaust mount thing that I mentioned earlier :banana:

Oh the new 05 is good!

Engine is definetly smoother but snappier at the bottom end, like the flywheel weights have been taken off but they are still there. Not as snappy as a gasser but getting there with Beta smoothness, makes it easy to blat up a 3ft step from a standing start. I am sure the top riders will do some seriously dangerous stuff with this bike.

Kinell, new bikes are

Edited by Muffin