Anbody Seen This Happen Before? Beta 200, 2006

mryder

I was wheeling the bike out in preparation for the trial tommorow and I noticed a couple of drips on the floor. (Beta 200, 2006)

Has anybody ever seen anything like this before. The bike does live in the cold so I was wondering whether a cold freeze could have caused the problem. I've botched a quick fix to hopefully see me through the trial but I have a feeling I will be looking out for a complete new l/h casing.

Pictures below....

It started with a small dribble....

3453406631_69fe2ab0d2.jpg

Upon investigation I turned the water filler cap.....

3454221430_0a78be6382.jpg

Having taken the cover off you can see the damage..

3453406477_406ae7e861.jpg

you need a new case. happens all the time. the best thing is to keep replacing the fluid on a regular bases. you might try some liquid metal or something to get you through a day but probably needs replacing soon. i had the same problem last year

i think one of the older model case is made of alum and a better replacement.

rob

There is probably lots of posts about this in the beta forum. Sigh. There is some thought to NOT use tap water in the coolant mix..... hunt out a 4l ready mixed pack of coolant from an Auto store.

I wouldn't replace the casing!!!! I'd go and buy a 2 pack metal repair kit. They come in a twin syringe part A and Part B .... mix it together affair. Again get it from the Auto store. Clean every thing up really well (get the hot water onto it!) and give it a go. Nothing to loose and likely better than new.

Ralphy

i chronicled my similer adventures a couple of years ago. sure a 'sealant might work but it doesnt stop the rest of the case corroding there is probably a fair bit under the propeller as well. root cause turns out to be the cavitation of the fluid in that area. replaceing the case is a couple of hours work ( worst bit is getting the sump plate back on) case costs about 75 quid i think.

Thanks for the advice. I've called up a local-ish dealer (moto merlin) to find out how much a replacement casing is going to cost. I hoping not too much <100......

I would suggest to get the Aluminum casing, its identical to the Magnesium-Alloy, the type they all come with as standard. The weight penalty is nothing, and eliminates a re-occurring problem.

I have replaced 2x casings now on m '03, tried all the so called synthetic coolants to no effect. I even caught the last one starting to pit and epoxy coated the inside, a small pin hole must have let the coolant through again and rotted out. I have got a aluminum one now, and now can run any old coolant as I please. I believe the EVO comes with an Aluminum casing now, and the Magnesium-Alloy casings are stocked as off the shelf works parts!

Now as explained in previous posts, Magnesium-Alloy is sacrificial, think as in anode. This is Electrolysis an is caused by the Magnesium being sacrificial to Aluminum (see here why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode). Some bikes are ok and dont ever present a problem, other bikes with this failure is the power coating is too thin and the result is irreversible and not repairable.

You will find the Aluminum casing should be cheaper to the Magnesium-Alloy one too, (not by much). Hope this helps you.