Ty175 - Can You Make It Quieter

newtotrials

I picked up a 1977 Yamaha TY175 recently and the bike works fantastic. Rode my first vintage trials last Sunday and it never missed a beat.

The one thing I am not happy about is the stock silencer. All is intact, but it just seems too loud. I repacked it before the event on Sunday and it seemed a bit better at first, but by halfway thru the event it seemed too loud again. I checked the packing this evening and it was fine.

Is there anyway to repack the stocker to make it quieter? Or should I look at one of the aftermarket systems? And if so, which one?

The WES aftermarket muffler is very quiet and vary light.

We have a road-registerable model TY175 here that has a quiet muffler. It is quite a bit bigger than the common TY175 cylindrical muffler but blissfully quiet. Not sure if you got that model or similar there. The muffler I'm talking about is the same as the TY125 muffler as they were sold in Germany, France and the Netherlands (and probably lots of other places). The bike we have here is called TY175JC and it came with a small snorkel on the airbox inlet and rubber fin dampers, which reduced the noise even further. Yes I dislike the noise from standard TY175 exhausts too.

The WES aftermarket muffler is very quiet and vary light.

We have a road-registerable model TY175 here that has a quiet muffler. It is quite a bit bigger than the common TY175 cylindrical muffler but blissfully quiet. Not sure if you got that model or similar there. The muffler I'm talking about is the same as the TY125 muffler as they were sold in Germany, France and the Netherlands (and probably lots of other places). The bike we have here is called TY175JC and it came with a small snorkel on the airbox inlet and rubber fin dampers, which reduced the noise even further. Yes I dislike the noise from standard TY175 exhausts too.

Thanks. That is very helpful. Mine is a North American model, as I live in Canada so it has the standard exhaust. From tests I've read and your comments it appears TY175 is just naturally a bit loud for a trials bike. I think I will go with a WES, but they are very difficult to find here in Canada. Thanks again!

I presume you have checked the rubber O ring that makes a seal between the tail pipe and the mid section, if this leaks then it will sound a little on the loud side.

Good point! I will check that out. It does not appear to be leaking there, but I will take it apart to make sure.

I've just gotten the WES muffler & agree it's a very good, light unit

In the states they are available from B&J Racing (www.bjracing.com) otherwise John Cane (www.tytrials.co.uk) in the UK gives very good service, cost from John was approx 60GBP + postage with being in my hands in less than 2 weeks

Thanks everyone for all of the opinions and help. It is greatly appreciated!

Just an update. Prior to going riding last weekend, I pulled out the new packing I had put in the silencer and cut some 1/2 inch waterpipe insulation to the exact length of the spark arrester. It fit into the silencer like it was made for it.

I would not say it is quiet now by any stretch of the imagination, but it is no longer irritating... more DT than YZ. It also seems to have added a little more grunt off the bottom. Basically exactly what I was looking for. I rode the TY175 all last weekend and was very happy with the new packing.

My plan is to ride the bike for the rest of this season pretty much as is, then go nuts over the winter with new longer shocks, fork mods, new Michelins, some SM footpegs and basically whatever else will help :D

Thanks again.

Been watching this thread since my ty175 could stand to be quieter.

What type packing did you use the first try?

When I think of water pipe insulation, I envision a type of black foam... will this stand the heat?

Sounds like a cheap and easy fix if it doesn't melt (or catch on fire).

Thanks

Yep, standard black foam water pipe insulation. I checked it after 3 fairly long rides and it appears to be holding up perfectly.

Originally I used some standard home insulation for packing, but it did not make much of a difference. Then I tried some packing purchased at a motorcycle store and specifically designed for the job... no real improvement.

The waterpipe insulation is not that much quieter but it was a noticable difference. It now sounds like it actually has a silencer on it, whereas before I found it had an almost MX sound when I cracked the throttle.

Been watching this thread since my ty175 could stand to be quieter.

What type packing did you use the first try?

When I think of water pipe insulation, I envision a type of black foam... will this stand the heat?

Sounds like a cheap and easy fix if it doesn't melt (or catch on fire).

Thanks