The Best Twinshock Ever?

jaan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Best Twinshock Ever?

RTL360 IMHO. Shame you couldn't pick one up at your local Honda dealer.

Surely the SWM Jumbo was the real challenger to the RTL in 1983 at least, but in my local events at the time the Fantic 200 and Montesa Cota 200 seemed to be the bikes to have. The Fantic 240 and 300 and Montesa 242 were around as well, and Armstrong 320s were popular....

• 1 month later...

hey

I guess some of the trick pre 65 bikes are a lot beter than any stock twinshock bike,

i rode a very trick bsa this summer and its a lot better than a honda tlr or a fantic 300;

i also tested a cotswold 4 stroke and i dont think any stock T shok even comes close tho that

if you talk about stock bikes i guess a mayesty or a fantic would be the best option

(not for me i stick to my 4 stroke bikes)

regards bob

hey

I guess some of the trick pre 65 bikes are a lot beter than any stock twinshock bike,

i rode a very trick bsa this summer and its a lot better than a honda tlr or a fantic 300;

i also tested a cotswold 4 stroke and i dont think any stock T shok even comes close tho that

if you talk about stock bikes i guess a mayesty or a fantic would be the best option

(not for me i stick to my 4 stroke bikes)

regards bob

"The Best Twinshock Ever?"

I think the topic means the best ORIGINAL twinshock made back in that era not a "re- made" cotswold or pre65 which probably both

have more mods that any 'works' bike also back in that era!!!!!

Most pre65 bikes now have more parts remade than anything , Gas Gas con rods , modded forks etc

certainly not an original bike by any means at all.

A lot of people that ride twinshocks aren't that keen on cotswolds etc if you know what i mean!

but rebuilding a twinshock or pre65 inthe same spec/style as original is ok in my eyes as its not a cheat bike!!

i think most would agree!!!

At least i ride my twinshock in the twinshock class- the correct class for the correct bike!

Enough said!!

I have never had a ride on a Cotswold but I quite like them, I may own one today if the engine wasn't chinese. I think the one below may raise a few eyebrows at certain events, it uses the TY mono engine.

My initial thoughts when I saw this bike where WTF. But hey provided the sections are set up for the most basic twinshock machine. then who would care. The twinshock class is simply a back to basics class. A decent rider on the worst machine should stay feet up all day. So why not, if it floats your boat.

But yes I'd agree with a step to far.

My initial thoughts when I saw this bike where WTF. But hey provided the sections are set up for the most basic twinshock machine. then who would care. The twinshock class is simply a back to basics class. A decent rider on the worst machine should stay feet up all day. So why not, if it floats your boat.

But yes I'd agree with a step to far.

The bike(or one exactly the same) and rider came 2nd in the recent round 7 (t/shock) ACU Traditional trials ch/ship I was observing and the sections were nothing like basic.

Edited by bo drinker

I'm sorry, but the cotswold is not a proper twinshock and never will be it has TY MONO engine, Sherco Paoli forks

and probably rides better than any TY mono ever did!.

Back to the ORIGINAL thread question -

"Best twinshock ever?" -

Its a personal taste thing, whether you like the look of one of how it rides/performs

For me to ride its my SWM 320 , a very under estimated bike even now and back in the day.

As for best looking- Aprilia TX 300 , Gareli 323 twinshock , Italjet 250/350, SWM 320 '83

or 340 Bult.

The bike(or one exactly the same) and rider came 2nd in the recent round 7 (t/shock) ACU Traditional trials ch/ship I was observing and the sections were nothing like basic.

Tricky this, isn't it? I know the rider and he probably would have come second if he'd been riding a wheely bin. He's an excelent rider and rides all manner of bikes; usually on the hard route. It was interesting that the bike that won the even was a Fantic 300. From what I recall back in the day, the 300 was a far better engine than the Ty Mono engine that I never really got on with!

I can see the point though; it can all get a bit serious when chasing the last few percent that may mean a championship win, but the basic understanding of the class seems to be good to me. Is a 'modern' cotswold really that much better than an 'old' Fantic 300? Maybe, but the best riders will always be up the sharp end.

Back to the question; I started on Fantics and still love how they ride. But I'm hopeless so a 1972 Cd185 with broken mudguards is all I need!

Graham

Its all down to what works for you,I had a new TLR250 in 1986 - one of the most beautiful looking bikes ever,couldnt ride it.Traded that for a new 241 Fantic in 87,not much better on that - then bought a horrible tatty 86 TY250R in 88 and had a great time on it.(And it never went wrong,unlike the Honda and Fantic)

Watching the bloke who beat me on Sunday on an SWM 320 had me wondering about them,the red/white ones are surely some of the best looking twinshocks out,not forgeting the later Beta's.But what are the SWM's like to ride ?

Watching the bloke who beat me on Sunday on an SWM 320 had me wondering about them,the red/white ones are surely some of the best looking twinshocks out,not forgeting the later Beta's.But what are the SWM's like to ride ?

They are a lot better than people may think!-

Good power, grips very well all the time , goods spares availability and very reliable

The only downside is the slight heavy weight but this has loads to do with the grip

level and the way the bike rides.If set up well a good bike.

Heres mine in current form-

post-1810-1255009596.jpg

hey,

i guess the swm rides a bit like a bultaco, i rode a bultaco (1978 325) and now ride a tlr 250.

On the hard route a bultaco is not the easiest bike to ride, the honda goes a lot better for me.

but it all depends on the event and the riding style the honda is better for people who ride modern style in tight events

i found my honda 100% reliable and like it a lot but i understand that many people don't like them

the clutch is not good and overheats fast and the engine is verry peppy

i like the way a fantic 300 rides to the 240 seems to small for me (footpegs verry high on that bike)

regards bob

ps anyone knows how wel a ccm 350 rides?

• 2 weeks later...

alot of you dont seem to like the bultacos so much.

i bought one when i was 19 after a cota 247 which was terrible but a forgiving bike to learn on and a beamish

which is cramped when your 6 foot 6.

first time i rode the taco i won my classnow 21 and still got the taco, a 1976 325

and i love it totally reliable thanks to bultaco uk's electronic ignition and amal carb bags of torque

and very good at taking the abuse i give it....by that i mean how often i crash.

in the club i ride in i am often riding against the creater of the cotswold bikes and a couple of very good riders

on a very trick yam majsty and a few other specials.

i am considering trying to trick up a taco to see if i can bounce it about like they do on there bikes.

some call trick twinshocks cheating, however when i saw the same rider whom usually bounces a cotswold bsa

about as if he is not subjected to the laws of gravity do the same on a cast iron pre 65 ariel

i learnt its more about the rider then the bike,

as for the best twinshock.....

for the likes of me and many others its not a case of which is the best but more to do with what you are lucky enough to have in the garage

and for me its a pretty beaten up bultaco

like some has already said its its all about having fun

Edited by bultoboy