4rt Needs Reset Nearly Every Time

jonny042

Jonny

Before you buy the twin map or prog throttle body would one of your riding buddies with a 4rt let you put there throttle body on you bike just to check, that way you would be sure

I personally feel the twin map set as mild and as wild as poss was the best mod i did to my monty, good luck

I've had a similar starting problem, but once started it would not run indefinatley, cutting out after a few seconds or a few minutes, anyway it turned out to be a faulty bank angle sensor. It seems Honda have had a few problems with these as they are replacing them on some of their road bikes. The cure was to remove it and join the outside wires together to complete the circuit. Starts and runs better than before

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I do pressure wash it regularly, but take care to avoid any direct spray on the wiring harness and ecu/injection unit. It did also do it the first time out this spring when I know for sure it was clean and dry. It's done it since I got the bike a little less than a year ago. It's been annoying me ever since but I finally decided to do something about it.

I doubt that it is an earth problem, I've double checked that. If it was it would likely be hard starting all the time but it starts like a champ once I "reset" it.

Same goes for cold starting. Reset it and it starts first kick.

As for idle speed, it is set quite high, higher, in fact, than 3 other 4RT's in my group last weekend. All 3 started fine.

Are there any settings in the programmable ECU's that I could play with? I thought maybe a programmable unit would help.

Sounds like (my mate said!) throttle position sensor possibly.

You are starting with hand on bars not on throttle?

Any luck solving the problem ????

Not as of yet, although I did raise the idle speed a bit more, and it seems to have helped. Probably by about 50%.

I am planning to get a programmable/dual map ecu and hope to be able to turn the idle back down, I'm finding it to be too fast for my tastes, as in 1st gear at idle it's going too fast for a very slow section. And although the clutch is decent in its modulation under power, it's a little grabby in this condition.

With the new ECU I should be able to fiddle with the fuel at idle speeds/0% throttle and get it to start more easily.

I have this same issue with my 06' 4rt. After a ton of trouble shooting I have found that there is no spark, unless you kick it like you want to kick the foot peg off the bike. 1 very hard kick produces a spark. Any sort of lazy kick, no spark. It drives me crazy. So crazy that I just bought a 315 to see if I like it. What I like is it starts on the first kick. Every time!

Once the 4rt is running it does run really good. I have found 2 slow kicks followed by 1 really hard one will start it. If the idle is so high that it is crazy. Yes it does seem to start with 1 kick. But again, other guys with 4rts don't run the idle this high and have no issue starting.

Edited by zerodog

I had an event this past weekend, and the bike was indeed much, much better. All due to the higher idle speed but may also have been helped by fresh, brand new jitsie air filter?

Regardless, I may still try to program around the problem with the PTB, as the idle speed is too high for my liking.