Free Play In Suspension?

mcman56

Should the Sherco suspension have zero free play? All of my bearings look like new and all bolts are tight yet there is still a little play in the suspension at full extension. Not much but a little more than a well maintained '97 Gas Gas. Is that normal?

If you mean movement in the bearings then I would say there is meant to be absolutely none. Mine has a tiny amount at the moment so will be due a bit of work very soon. Just check the bolts are all tight, it can make a bit of a mess if one comes loose.

If you mean a bit of sag (sorry if it's not the correct terminology) at the top of the suspension, then they don't have it when new. Mine developed a bit of sag after a while, sorted out by winding the suspension up a bit.

Can't think why it sagged with my spritely figure on it :banana:

I think the play is due to a loose bolt but can not identify which one. I bought the bike in almost new condition and immediately serviced all bearings including the top and bottom of the shock. Everything looked in great condition but I still had a little play. I periodically try tightening the bolts with no effect. Does one bolt need to be supertight? Is there one that is easy to over look? Is there a procedure to identify exactly where the play is? With all of the linkage interconnecting, I have tried placing my fingers on each joint as a I move the suspension but it is still not clear.

I had a similar problem for ages.

Eventually found out that the free play was in my elbow ;)

Sorry...

No that's the way I've found it...get someone else to move the suspension while you put a finger over the bearings...no good doing it yourself if there is so little movement.

i had an XR600R supermoto which had 'play' in the rear end. Every MOT the tester pointed this out, but it never got worse.

I think the free play stemmed from the top shock mounting, which would be exagerated through all the linkages to a few mm of movement at the rear wheel.

I think it was just the design of the bike, but that's where I'd start to look if I were you (as I said any movement here will be amplified at the rear wheel). Could be 'normal' though ;)

Edited by motopat