Oldest Original Piston?

vintagecota

:banana: The bike in the avatar, my overachieving '72 123 Cota has still got it's original piston and bore. I know it's original because the bike was near new when I bought it. I rebuilt everything in the cases, except the piston, bore and crank, it was all in spec and looked good. That was 4 seasons ago and it still pulls like day one. Can anyone beat that? :banana:

:banana: The bike in the avatar, my overachieving '72 123 Cota has still got it's original piston and bore. I know it's original because the bike was near new when I bought it. I rebuilt everything in the cases, except the piston, bore and crank, it was all in spec and looked good. That was 4 seasons ago and it still pulls like day one. Can anyone beat that? :banana:

Dear Vintage Cota

I can't beat your Cota 123 story because I don't have a bike that old but this story must come close.

I discovered after taking the head off my 1976 Cota 348 for it's first ever decoke a few months ago that it still has the crosshatch pattern bore finish put there by the factory. The fork tube surfaces also have the original crosshatch pattern. Those Montesa fork gaiters do a good job protecting the forks.

My 1974 Yamaha TY250A has never had the head off and still runs perfectly and is quiet mechanically. I guess one day it will also need a decoke? The speedo read 3000km and was still working when I took it off the bike nine years ago.

David Lahey

Gladstone

Australia

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

ohmy.gif The bike in the avatar, my overachieving '72 123 Cota has still got it's original piston and bore. I know it's original because the bike was near new when I bought it. I rebuilt everything in the cases, except the piston, bore and crank, it was all in spec and looked good. That was 4 seasons ago and it still pulls like day one. Can anyone beat that? dry.gif

Funny i always thought the bike in th eavitar was a cota 25 youre obviously bigger than i realised.

• 1 year later...

Cota 348s were exceptionally good for low bore wear, maybe due to the good air filter design.

I think the record for old regularly used engines that have never needed re boring belongs to concrete mixers.