Riding In Scotland.

wallace

I would appreciate any info on the laws applying to going off-road with a motorcycle, particularly in Scotland.

It used to be a simple matter of writing to the landowner and getting written permission to ride at your own risk, is this still the case? ;)

Cheers

Big J.

Can you enlighten me on the SACU's stance on practicing. It was brought to my attention last year that if any more that two SACU licence holders go out to practice they must do so under a permit. I can't see how this works as larger groups of riders often go out and practice together. If this rule does exist I have to say I think its firstly stupid and secondly un-policable.

I understand the SACU are only trying to cover themselves against unofficial events taking place without the proper insurance but there must be a sensible solution that doesn't involve organising a permit. Most riders who have never taken part in the running of a club wouldn't know how to obtain a permit anyway.

BJ

I have looked in the wonderful handbook but not really found anything. The point was not that club organised practise was not allowed but that practise by a group of licence holder was not allowed and could result in the removal of he license. It the club organise practice then we always get a permit from the SACU.

I'll email Johnnie and copy you on his response.

Said it before and ill say it again , dont understand how someone can lay claim to miles and miles of desolate moorland and hillside, I fully understand about land management and conservation etc. but if you ride respectfully and carefully whats the harm. I stay in Fort William, Corpach to be exact with miles of moor and hill behind me and the young fella (who does ask to ride ,and does with courtesy) can still get Grief from faceless authority. If we have a problem with land /wild life abuse lets target the scum who do it and Irealise it all a question of degree but common sense must be allowed to prevail, Rabbies reply will probably apply to Scotland as well and it scares me witless (if not there already).

Needless to say , these views are mine and no one elses in fear of reprisal!! :lol:

P.S. A mate had the right idea , lets get the broadswords and claymores out of the loft and get the land back!

84% of Scotland owned by7% of the people, rant over! ;)

2) You need insurance (3rd party) - Road Traffic Act, you are in a public place, even tough its private land

How can this be correct? What about all the youth riders, are these riders suposed to comply with the road traffic act despite being under age to actually hold a licence.

Stuart

Public liability insurance - the law was designed to stop joy riders in supermarket car parks, which aren't part of the highway

Hence every vehicle, road registered or not, regardless of age of driver, needs public liability insurance because in most places you ride it, it

i live in the forest of dean and all whats around me is woodland which is owned by the foresty commision, i used to ride motocross bikes in the woods near me and used to get chased a lot by the forestry commision vans, but i used to get away but now im riding trials bikes im not looking foward to my first chase lol. i guess il hav to look for the nearest hill

Yeah nice one, with strokers like you around is it any wonder we're losing land all over the country! :(

Why are so concerned with the noise debate of 2 v's 4 stroke when we've got people like you riding where they want and then thinking it's hilarious to get chased by the FC.

Edited by Hughesy

Thanks for helping to screw up our image Matt Cooper. Just remember that the next time any forestry worker or member of the puplic who witnessed your wee spaz-out see's a biker, they won't think 'Oh, I wonder is that the same guy that raced us the last time??'. They won't, they'll simply tar everyone with the same brush as you, even people who don't have your sh**ty attitude to the land use problems we're facing at the moment.

People like you are the reason we have a land closure issue.

DICK!

who you calling a dick, u dont even ******* know me. we used to have a place to ride for free of charge no insurance to worry about. and it was open every since ive been riding, which was road by motocrossers and trials bikes but since they closed that down cus they thought the kids were doing to maney crazy things (ie jumping bikes) we now have no place to ride.

and im only 18 and cant afford to be putting fuel in my car to drive miles to pratice, and its not just me around here there **** loads of ppl

On the subject of scottish riders, some of them need to learn how to thank observers for standing out in crap weather. At the Cumberland trial last week the amount of them (not all) who didnt thank my brother was disgusting, i sat watching his section when i'd finished and i couldnt believe it, ignorant sods.