Fork Seals.trials Central Pays!

anyoldiron

Out on the bike today.Stop for a rest.Sit back to admire my dear bike and notice grey oil all over mudgaurd, fork,radiator,wheelrim and smell of fork oil.Sh**e,I think.Get back ready to strip fork,order spare seal tomorrow etc.Then what remnants I have of memory reminds me of something I read here.9 times out of 10,somebody wrote,its not the seal its just crud twixt seal and fork.So I whip off the dust cover,slide a strip of camera film(as recommended)between the seal and fork,run it around the fork, clean it up,pop back the dust cover,Bounce up and down on bike-NO LEAK.Start engine and bounce about yard-NO LEAK.Noodle around like a spring goat.How happy am I.None of my hard earned to Beta or whoever in the morning.All those dark evenings reading the forums pays off :wacko:

Hmm..Lots of questions..Pretty sure all the oil hadn,t leaked out by the fact that the suspension still feels right .I haven,t checked because of this.As to what film,it has to be ilford 400 b and w developed(this is very important)by 80 year old virgins on a full moon.Digital,well I dunno,only recently gone modern,don,t rush me..........Still,gives a use for anyone whos got a box of undeveloped holiday snaps from days of yore. Just checked the oil level in the fork as The Addict got me a panicking there and its mostly all there,down 20 mm from where it should be ,so IT DID WORK.

Edited by anyoldiron

Keep an eye on it because crud can damage the seal, making it more prone to leaking. This is why they make special boots (bullets) to slide the seal onto the fork, as even the edge of the fork can burr up the seal.

See if you can find these MotionPro SealMate Fork Seal Cleaners over there. They are fairly cheap and work better than 100 ISO. :wacko:

got to agree moto merlin is speedy and cheap got some stuff and good advice for my gasgas last week as for the fork seals hhaving no camera film this weekend i used the plastic film from a lightbulb packet on sunday morning and it worked a treat..