Lance Armstrong Bust For Illegal Substances

toofasttim

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dabster, firstly I used the death toll in greater Europe (including Russia), but yes 60 million in the greater scheme of things is closer to the truth. Secondly, your statement was crass and appropriate for only social scientists or politicians. Thirdly, I certainly do not have your or Slapshots encyclopedic knowledge of the TDF, nor do I claim to. For this reason I haven't commented on the event. Indeed I have enjoyed learning for the two of you.

Now get over it and accept your rebuke like a man and, in future, be a little more careful in your choice of words. You have been chastised for this in the past, I would have thought that an intelligent man like you would have learned his lesson by now.

http://www.hitler.org/ww2-deaths.html look at this and you may realise the more realistic figures.

Explain which of my comments was crass, please?

Get over what?

Rebuke from you? Respect comes before that muppet.

Slapshot probably knows alot more than me, I've just watched it for 30 years and only seen 5 stages in real time.

I repeat again why comment when you are just choice quoting to make a supercilious point? Is it something to do with you living in the colonies?

Without wishing to get into a fight with Tim and Dabster, just an opinion.

Wars are unfortunate: I don't like that statement for a number of reasons but the over riding fact is that wars are never unfortunate but always a calculated method of one pshycopath impressing his will on everyone else, generally motivated by little more than armed robbery written large. Look at nearly every war, battle, conflict of any nature and it will come down to this. What is unfortunate about wars are the consequences. If we'd put Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini etc in a wrestling ring with Churchill, Roosevelt, de Gaulle etc etc and see who wins our grandparents (and great Grandparents perhaps) may not have had to live through a war that caused the deaths of around 60 million people. We can all bandy around numbers but the reality is there will never be a realistic figure.

I discovered pro cycling in the early to mid 70's, tail end of the Merckx domination watching the TDF on World of Sport, from there I got interested in all parts of the sport. I've only ever been to about 10 stages but I've thrown in a few classics as well, Liege-Bastogne-Liege (coupled that with a trip to the Ardennes battlefields), Ronde van Vlaandria that sort of stuff. When you're young free and single you have to balance priorities, week at the Scottish, week chasing the RAC rally, couple of weeks skiing in the winter you don't get to do everything. When you eventually get to balance out your life, the handcuffs are on and you're B*****ksed :wacko:

I wouldn't say I have have an encyclopaedic knowledge of anything but I am a bookworm and where Mr Grieg might take the mickey out of Mrs Slapshot and her Mills and Boon books, I more likely be reading some other tome about the Roman Empire, Napoleonic Europe, WW1 or WW2, books on cycling, Quantum Physics or some other geeky nonsense.

The case in point though is that if you post on these forums you post an the basis of your own knowledge. If you don't you end up looking stupid because you can't back up your arguements.

Tim's initial toungue in cheek point about Armstrong hides the perennial question in procycling, who is and who isn't doping, you can all take your own views on that one.

Edited by Slapshot 3

Firstly, go back a few posts, your comment was crass.

Next avoid name calling, you are stooping to levels I have never before seen on these forums.

Thirdly, involving the colonies was an extremely dumb thing to do. All you have done is expose yourself as a pompous fart.

Firstly, go back a few posts, your comment was crass.

Next avoid name calling, you are stooping to levels I have never before seen on these forums.

Thirdly, involving the colonies was an extremely dumb thing to do. All you have done is expose yourself as a pompous fart.

FFS answer the question what comment? I have expanded the war one so its not that so which one?

WARS ARE UNFORTUNATELY A THING WHICH GOT IN THE WAY OF THE TDF AND FOOTBALL AND EVERY OTHER SPORTING OCCASION, WHICH IS WHY BARTOLI WHO MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE WON MORE TOURS.

That was the context this whole thread was about, not the validity of wars, re read my post and the previuos ones and that is the context I meant.

Avoid name calling then you do just that? I'm off this is just daft.