Oversize Bars On A Sherco?

jimmyk

Is it possible to put 1 1/8" bars on the Sherco? I know thry make adapters that go on the existing mounts, but they raise the bar 3/4 of an inch. I was wondering if the stock clamp could be modified to work? Would a GasGas top clamp fit on a sherco? THANKS JK

I have installed the "Fat" bars using three different methods:

1. I carefully "machined" the stock top clamp to receive the larger diameter bars using my Dremel tool and a socket that was the exact diamater as the fat bar. I useed the sandpaper discs on the Dremel and used the socket as a gage to determine when I had removed enough material. I used the top clamp from the fat bar kit and utilized allen head bolts to attach the new bars. The bottom of the triple clamp had to be modified slightly to receive the front bolts installed from the bottom up. The two rear bolts were installed from the top down. Hard washers were used on the bottom.

2. The 99/00 top triple clamp works perfectly. You may have to add some hardened washers under the handlebar clamps.

3. A good friend gave me a custom GG top triple clamp that fit the Sherco fork tubes, the hole for the stem was too large so I had a spacer machined.

Fly Racing sells adapters that bolt on but add some height to the handlebars.

Wayne

Thanks Guys, Wayne is the bolt spacing the same for the big bars vs the stock bars? I thought that it had a wider spread on the 1 1/8 bars. How did you use the wider spacing that the kit topcaps have with the original clamp spacing? also what did you thread the front bolts that come up from the bottom into. I have been wanting to do this for awhile, so any details would be appreciated. THANKS Again JK

Jimmy- here is a message I posted on the Beta forum a few weeks ago.

I just fitted a set of ProTapers to my '04 Rev3, and it is a piece of cake. I have a phobia about handlebar breakage and wanted to go with the strongest available, but I was afraid mounting the large diameter bars would require a new upper triple clamp. Then I found the universal mounting clamp kits that ProTaper (and others) sells. It is a really simple idea. The clamp consists of an upper and lower piece. It is wider than the stock upper handlebar clamp. One half of the lower piece bolts to the original handlebar mount with recessed screws. Then the upper piece bolts to that with the normal 2 screws. The result is about 3/4 of an inch (19mm) higher than stock. What you want to buy is the factory Suzuki bend. This bar mounted in the universal mounting kit will be within a few mm of the stock geometry. When you are looking for bars, check out the ProTaper website and look at the results of (supposedly independent) fatigue tests of various brands. They also have pics of the clamp kits that will make more sense than my description. The whole thing cost me $120.00 US for bars and clamp kit.

Here is a link to the ProTaper site with pics of the clamp kit.

Pro Taper Clamp Kit Pics

Ron - Would the "Suzuki" Pro Taper bars be an exact Replacement for the "Domino" bars that came stock on the 98 Techno.

just looked up the Dealer in Orlando Florida ,where I`ll be on holiday shortly, Priced at $89 ...seems a good price.

Regards

N

OK- Here is the deal-

Most bikes have bar clamps that bolt onto the upper triple clamp. Beta Rev3s and some Shercos have the lower half of the clamp cast into the upper triple clamp. Due to the way the triple clamp is designed, you cannot just machine off the bar clamp and use the bolt on style. I was very happy to find the universal clamps that easily solve this problem. However, the bad thing about the clamps is that they will raise the bar height about 3/4 of an inch. Therefore, if you use oversize bars in the normal trials bends- Renthal, Hebo, etc. you will find the bars end up higher. If you don't mind that, then fine. If you want to match the original bar width, pull back, height, etc as closely as possible, then you can go to the Renthal website and look at the chart with all dimensions for trials bend bars. Then you can find some oversize bars that closely match every aspect except they need to be 3/4 inch lower. That is what I did and the bar I chose was the ProTaper "factory Suzuki" bend. They feel about the same as the stock bars. As for using the bars on a '98 Techno, the factory Suzuki bend will be too low. That bike came standard with fat bars. I am not positive, but I suspect that the current fat trials bars (Renthal, Hebo, Tag) would be a direct replacement.

• 1 year later...

:rolleyes: HMMMMMM im worried about the same thing i won a pair from trials world magazine and hav'nt got enough money for clamps!!!

well i my dad has'nt got the money ;)

is there any size that i need to get to fit my sherco??

and do you know any news on trials world has it been shut down?? i cant find one any where :hyper:

i have looked at all the renthal fatbar dimensions and the best bar that seems to match up with universal clamps is 686-01 ktm 2003 bend.i have matched these bars against the trials fat bar(taken both out of boxes and stood side by side)

and the ktm ones are the lowest and by far the straightest fat bar that renthal make,you must take note of not only the height but also the "sweep" of the bar also.

i have not tried these as yet,but may do in the near future. :hat:

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...