Trials Growing Or Dying

hensley

know that i will always be riding something over something regardless if there will be anybody out there with me.

If there is a dealer left i will buy from them.

If there are people willing to join me I will ride with them.

If some one wants to learn how I will show them all that I know.

I grew up with this sport and I won't stop trying it.

As stated in my original post ithere is a good chance it wont get bigger (however with a little effort it just might) and it wont die out for the exact reasons stated above if it gets down to 1 man and a bike and some terrain its still a lot of fun.

For 2 or 3 years ive been posting trials videos and some other links and items of intrest on the local enduro forum. Its helping a bit but progress is still slow. As Alan Bechard stated a while back the guys taht already have boots and a helmet seem like a good target

btw whats Alan up too its guys like Alan that really help the sport

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have to say the sport is dieing in some regions and not in others. I live in NY and have been riding since I was 6. I think the sport in my area is slowing down no question. Im 23 now and for the past 5 years I have come close to getting out of the sport, mainly because of money. The only reason I still ride is because my dad is kind enough to keep me in it. Mainly all the big names are in the south and west. Its hard to go at this sport with a real effort of becoming a pro unless you have some support.

• 2 weeks later...

I am brand new to trials so I have that perspective. I've owned about 25 bikes in the last 10 years. Street bikes, dirt bikes and dual purpose. I am from Canada now living in Louisiana and always wanted a trials bike. I turn 40 next year.

I can't go riding on the weekends. I have to travel at least 1 hour to ride off road.

Reasons it took me so long to get a trials? (I'm in Louisiana)

It's too hot most of the time, there are NO events anywhere near here, no bikes available in the area to buy and no dealership support. I had to travel 10 hours round trip to get a used bike.

I have a 1/2 acre backyard and I had to bring in a big log, big stump and balance beam to practice on. Right now, until it cools off, I practice for the last hour of daylight because it's about 100 degrees outside. I figure between that and practicing figure 8's I'll be busy for a while.

But what then? What happens when I get OK enough to even want to compete in uber, entry novice low level events?

There's nothing here in my area. We live at sea level and it's dead flat.

I think "most" people in my area feel they wouldn't get enough "bang for buck" and can't ride with their buddies.

For me it's perfect. I can't be out killing myself, I have to stay close to home and I could afford the luxury of a used niche bike.

I understand that there are a lot of areas in the US that are big on Trials, but it's very small pockets of people when compared to general trail riding and motocross. I've experienced the same thing when I take my sidecar rig out.

I'm too new to figure out how to grow/expand the sport, I just wish there was a larger interest in my area.

Hi John, I am here, kind of in the shadows. Busy as I can be with life, working hard it seems on the Al Bechard Quick road to bankruptcy while working your butt off. :huh:

I love the trials community, and truly miss it, but between work, SWMBO's business, house, shop, paintball, Kayaking and 20 million other pursuits, Trials has pretty much slid to the back burner, bikes have not been out in a LOOOONG time.

But, Tues my BIL is coming in from Germany and wants to ride, so a trip to TTC is in my immediate future.

The scary part for me, is that these topics rehash all too often.

I must say, the boots and helmet is something I stole from Ed or Doug as well, but I still believe it to be very accurate. Folks who are not exposed to motorsports about fall over when they hear the bottom end costs involved in getting started.

In the FWIW I still think the best way is to get folks out on a bike. It is funny, this week, a guy saw me wearing a Trials T shirt and started asking me about it, and wants to try riding, and one guy from work want's to come out and try it as well, so who knows.

I am here though if I can ever be of any assistance to folks.

Alan Bechard

trialsalan AT Gmail dot com

I am brand new to trials so I have that perspective. I've owned about 25 bikes in the last 10 years. Street bikes, dirt bikes and dual purpose. I am from Canada now living in Louisiana and always wanted a trials bike. I turn 40 next year.

I can't go riding on the weekends. I have to travel at least 1 hour to ride off road.

Reasons it took me so long to get a trials? (I'm in Louisiana)

It's too hot most of the time, there are NO events anywhere near here, no bikes available in the area to buy and no dealership support. I had to travel 10 hours round trip to get a used bike.

I have a 1/2 acre backyard and I had to bring in a big log, big stump and balance beam to practice on. Right now, until it cools off, I practice for the last hour of daylight because it's about 100 degrees outside. I figure between that and practicing figure 8's I'll be busy for a while.

But what then? What happens when I get OK enough to even want to compete in uber, entry novice low level events?

There's nothing here in my area. We live at sea level and it's dead flat.

I think "most" people in my area feel they wouldn't get enough "bang for buck" and can't ride with their buddies.

For me it's perfect. I can't be out killing myself, I have to stay close to home and I could afford the luxury of a used niche bike.

I understand that there are a lot of areas in the US that are big on Trials, but it's very small pockets of people when compared to general trail riding and motocross. I've experienced the same thing when I take my sidecar rig out.

I'm too new to figure out how to grow/expand the sport, I just wish there was a larger interest in my area.

There are at least a couple Lousiana guys that come over and spend the weekend in Texas when events are going on. Would recommend you try to get on one of the club e-mail lists or find the web sites. ntxtrials.com, texastrials.com would get you started.

Cheers,

Hi John, I am here, kind of in the shadows. Busy as I can be with life, working hard it seems on the Al Bechard Quick road to bankruptcy while working your butt off. ;)

I love the trials community, and truly miss it, but between work, SWMBO's business, house, shop, paintball, Kayaking and 20 million other pursuits, Trials has pretty much slid to the back burner, bikes have not been out in a LOOOONG time.

But, Tues my BIL is coming in from Germany and wants to ride, so a trip to TTC is in my immediate future.

The scary part for me, is that these topics rehash all too often.

I must say, the boots and helmet is something I stole from Ed or Doug as well, but I still believe it to be very accurate. Folks who are not exposed to motorsports about fall over when they hear the bottom end costs involved in getting started.

In the FWIW I still think the best way is to get folks out on a bike. It is funny, this week, a guy saw me wearing a Trials T shirt and started asking me about it, and wants to try riding, and one guy from work want's to come out and try it as well, so who knows.

I am here though if I can ever be of any assistance to folks.

Alan Bechard

trialsalan AT Gmail dot com

SWMBO's = Spending Wifes Money Because Otherthings I want to do?

I have had to limit my activities because wife cut me off!!!!!!! :huh:

SWMBO's = Spending Wifes Money Because Otherthings I want to do?

I have had to limit my activities because wife cut me off!!!!!!! :lol:

SWMBO = She who must be obeyed :)

I have to limit my activitie because I have grown attached to living in a house and eating food. The kids Whine a lot if you don't feed them for two or three days :)

Alan Bechard Posted Today, 09:43 AM

The kids Whine a lot if you don't feed them for two or three days smile.gif

but it's only noticeable if you listen!!!!!!

I have to limit my activitie because I have grown attached to living in a house and eating food.

Yep know what ya mean, My fan went kaput on my sherco and a few other bits need replacing, sssooooooo my season is done until overtime picks up.

Darn that economic downturn. :lol:

Nobody in the states has a clue what trials is. I was part of the first "boom" and bought a brand new RL250 in 1975 or 6. I watched a young Bernie Schrieber in a local trial near Auburn, Ca. That interest was because of one thing, as youall prolly know: On any sunday. Back before the rednecks hyjacked off-road riding, and turned it into a political mindset.

I thought I saw some daylight when the trials bikes did so well in endurocross--but the open competition was shutdown, and trials tires banned in the "prestigous classes".

I'll say this: they'll put anything on those hi-def cable channels. Chopper building, crab fishing, truck driving. Those shows are so silly it leaves you in awe. Except: the isle of man TT, which now suddenly has incredible coverage on one of those terribly boring channels.

You film the SSDT in high def, and sell it to a hi-def channel, trials sales would triple.

The only other hope is more long riding. MX bikes are terrible on single track. I have 10 grand in my 07 KTM 250SX. At 205 lbs--40 lbs under any of my buddies bikes, it's still a complete pig.

My 300 pro on the other is quite sweet on the trail, EXCEPT I had to send to france and pay 500.00 for a tank, overheating in the mountains is a real issue, and the gearbox is a nightmare-- 4th to 5th is so huge, 1-4 are too close. The fact there is no real viable long ride setup for the GG 300 pro (except for a custom setup out of montana) is sad.

The new GG 4s could really be a super trail machine, with minor factory mods (close those gear gaps, bit bigger rad, 2 gal tank/seat) and it has so much less impact on trails-- you might even get the USFS to recommend them.

I know the T-ride is supposed to be that bike, but look at the weight of the thing, not to mention the price.

In the usa, trials is more alive in the mountain biking scene than the motorbiking scene. Oh well, I got my bike and my buddy just found a bike too. I catch people gawking at my bike when it's on the truck all the time-- so the potential is there.

P1000889.jpg

thought I saw some daylight when the trials bikes did so well in endurocross--but the open competition was shutdown, and trials tires banned in the "prestigous classes".[/quote

A whole another thread could be started on Endurocross (pros and cons)

Homer just competed in an endurocross in Oklahoma

The Pros

He had a blast riding and me and his mother also spectating. It is a lot of fun

A crowd of 6000 plus thousands more on tv and you tube got to see trials riders (Taddy 1st place Geoff, Haaker and Pat in the top ten) They also got to see real trials bikes with decent lap times (for amatuers and such an open track) IT SHOULD, but probably wont cause several enduro riders to buy at least an old trials bike and grab some basic skills. It might be helpful if a table with a big sign was put in the pits that said trials info with info from the importers with a dealer list and a club directory with a contact number for each club. Maybe something profiling the trials riders in the Pro Endurocross they are about to see.

The cons

It is taking away from trials a bit while Taddy and Geoff were at the end of their careers. Haaker no longer rides trials and RonIII and Pat who both are putting trials first trials first are taken away from the sport a bit.

Homer is know hollering he wants an enduro bike besides his trials bike (if he gets one it will be on his own im not buying one) he s got neighbors and other locals pumping him up. If he pursued it he could probably get sponsered and probably some injuries to go with it.

Good to hear from Alan hang in there.

Edited by hensley

A crowd of 6000 plus thousands more on tv and you tube got to see trials riders (Taddy 1st place Geoff, Haaker and Pat in the top ten) They also got to see real trials bikes with decent lap times (for amatuers and such an open track) IT SHOULD, but probably wont cause several enduro riders to buy at least an old trials bike and grab some basic skills. It might be helpful if a table with a big sign was put in the pits that said trials info with info from the importers with a dealer list and a club directory with a contact number for each club. Maybe something profiling the trials riders in the Pro Endurocross they are about to see.

The cons

It is taking away from trials a bit while Taddy and Geoff were at the end of their careers. Haaker no longer rides trials and RonIII and Pat who both are putting trials first trials first are taken away from the sport a bit.

It really sucks that Phil was left out of your story. It's a shame Phil gets overshadowed by Pat, as Phil battled his ass off all night, too. He came in second in his semi race and is still in the top 20 in points. 15th to be exact.