All You Evo Owners.......

pillar

I will let you know next time I start the bike. I haven't really looked. When I'm riding all day I just never seem to notice it stopping. Could it be how hot it's been lately though?

Haven't done anything to the bike. I emailed that guy who's in charge from the email but haven't heard back. Mongoose machine could do the same work to the engine I'm sure.. Dean thinks it would be very expensive. I'm thinking over $500. They fixed his engine on his old gas gas after it was seized.

When I get around to it I'll probably just try a bigger main jet and see what that does to the bottom. Well see.

Hey Spencer. Remember you told me to try a larger grip to stop the soreness in my hand from the skin folding? It totally worked! ;) Thank-you!

Edited by pillar

Hey Chad, glad to hear that your hands are better, a quick note on the proposed main jet changes though. Changing the main will do little for the bottom end of the power curve; the bottom is controlled by the pilot jet and to a degree, the needle. Keihin carbs can be fussy about temperature and barometric pressure so I would caution you about changing jetting from what is already an all-around good running bike.

As for your question Dabster; Chad rode a 2009 Raga and liked the lower power delivery, with fall and winter on the way, he may hold off on that modification. I personnally can't think of a better combination that the Beta chassis with Gasser power.

Spencer

Hey Chad, glad to hear that your hands are better, a quick note on the proposed main jet changes though. Changing the main will do little for the bottom end of the power curve; the bottom is controlled by the pilot jet and to a degree, the needle. Keihin carbs can be fussy about temperature and barometric pressure so I would caution you about changing jetting from what is already an all-around good running bike.

As for your question Dabster; Chad rode a 2009 Raga and liked the lower power delivery, with fall and winter on the way, he may hold off on that modification. I personnally can't think of a better combination that the Beta chassis with Gasser power.

Spencer

Have you ridden a 290?

Hello Nigel Dabster,

Yes I have ridden the new EVO 290, two of them, I have also ridden the 250 EVO and we bought the 200 EVO (probably one of the nicest bikes on the market). I have also ridden the 280 and 300 Gasgas Raga model, the 300 was a 2008 and the 280 was a 2009 model. My personal taste is for a 250, as I am finished with having my arms yarded out of their sockets, I can last all day riding and with a slight adjustment in technique, I can still get up any climb that I want to. The only time that I suffer for power is above 4500 feet. Remembering that this is all subjective, I personnally like the feel of a GasGas engine/transmission; buit the Paioli/Sachs Beta chassis is golden....I have already got a Paioli front end for my Gasser, now I am working on the rear shock and linkage to try to get the "Beta" plush.

Spencer

Hello Nigel Dabster,

Yes I have ridden the new EVO 290, two of them, I have also ridden the 250 EVO and we bought the 200 EVO (probably one of the nicest bikes on the market). I have also ridden the 280 and 300 Gasgas Raga model, the 300 was a 2008 and the 280 was a 2009 model. My personal taste is for a 250, as I am finished with having my arms yarded out of their sockets, I can last all day riding and with a slight adjustment in technique, I can still get up any climb that I want to. The only time that I suffer for power is above 4500 feet. Remembering that this is all subjective, I personnally like the feel of a GasGas engine/transmission; buit the Paioli/Sachs Beta chassis is golden....I have already got a Paioli front end for my Gasser, now I am working on the rear shock and linkage to try to get the "Beta" plush.

Spencer

so do you think that the evo needs a pep up?

so do you think that the evo needs a pep up?

No I don't, I think that the 280 and 300 Raga hit too hard for the clubman rider (myself included); but to clarify, I like the feel of the 250 Gas Gas engine better than the Beta 250. This is not to say that the Gasser is better, all of the bikes are excellent machines, it's a matter of preference.

IWhen I get around to it I'll probably just try a bigger main jet and see what that does to the bottom. Well see.

another couple of question for you Evo owners. I am considering buying an Evo because of the reputation for great handling and suspension. I am relatively new to trials , 43 years old, 180 lbs and low skilled. I probably would be happy with a 200 or 250 but am told just go for the 290 by some of the trials riders I know and the dealer. I am tempterd because its only a few $ more, appeals to that bigger is better part of my brain and I would like to try taking it to some harescrambles so thats really when the extra cc's may help. My questions is how is the bottom end of the rev range for the 290 , nice and smooth or abrupt and harsh ? and if it is considerably harsher does the ignation settings switch make a big difference? would the 2010 model been any different? and is there any thing else that could been done to give me a smoother bottom end of the torque curve ie. adjusting the ignition advance, carb settings , slow action throttle cam etc. even if it sacrafices some topend power. I could always switch it back if my skills get better.

thanks for any thoughts.

another couple of question for you Evo owners. I am considering buying an Evo because of the reputation for great handling and suspension. I am relatively new to trials , 43 years old, 180 lbs and low skilled. I probably would be happy with a 200 or 250 but am told just go for the 290 by some of the trials riders I know and the dealer. I am tempterd because its only a few $ more, appeals to that bigger is better part of my brain and I would like to try taking it to some harescrambles so thats really when the extra cc's may help. My questions is how is the bottom end of the rev range for the 290 , nice and smooth or abrupt and harsh ? and if it is considerably harsher does the ignation settings switch make a big difference? would the 2010 model been any different? and is there any thing else that could been done to give me a smoother bottom end of the torque curve ie. adjusting the ignition advance, carb settings , slow action throttle cam etc. even if it sacrafices some topend power. I could always switch it back if my skills get better.

thanks for any thoughts.

I am a bit older than you and heavy too. I ride a 290 without flywheel and its great, you do need to have reasonable throttle control. I had a 290 sherco for years and its a similar thing off the bottom not abrupt at all.

I am a bit older than you and heavy too. I ride a 290 without flywheel and its great, you do need to have reasonable throttle control. I had a 290 sherco for years and its a similar thing off the bottom not abrupt at all.

You were riding a 4-stroke, for a while, were you not? If so, why the switch back, and what has your experience been in doing so? Been on 4-strokes for 4 years now, and am considering going back. But, LOVE the smooth low end of the 4-stroke, and don't want to give that up.

I am 44 years old, and over the last several years have gone from the 280 to the 300 back to the 280, and now the 250; all GasGas Pro. I ride at the advanced level in the CPTA events in Vancouver and have found that I can ride the 250 better than all of the other bikes, main reason is that the power delivery is smooth and not as deep as the bigger bore bikes. After three hours, the 280 and 300 start to get tiring, the 250 I can ride all day long; even though the power delivery on the new EVO 290 is smooth, it's relentless. I believe that you will enjoy riding the 250 over the 290 for just that reason; a friend of mine changed from a 2008 4rt to the 250 EVO and will never look back.

Spencer

You were riding a 4-stroke, for a while, were you not? If so, why the switch back, and what has your experience been in doing so? Been on 4-strokes for 4 years now, and am considering going back. But, LOVE the smooth low end of the 4-stroke, and don't want to give that up.

You really do need to try it to be sure. I gave up the 4rt as it frustrated me by not being consistent and I felt when you rode it well it was great but get off line,unload the back wheel or in trouble and it was hard work. I would reccomend a 290 over the 250 as when I rode both back to back the 290 was smoother and easier off the bottom and had much more direct feel to the back wheel, if you need something more forgiving or lack a bit of throttle control try the 200?

Edited by Nigel Dabster