Beta Rev 4

jsp

If it is your cam chain , on the right side of the motor ,on the back of the cylinder you will find a 10mm bolt, remove it and insert a small flat blade screw driver and push it in until light resistance is felt, reinstall bolt, done. Very easy to do. If that doesn't fix the sound it maybe time to run the valves. Now a rattle could be a broken tooth off the idler gear next to the kickstarter gear.

when i remove the 10mm bolt is there a spring behind it ?

and do use the screw to turn the screw or just push it in ?

i think it is the cam chain as its a spradic rattle and not happening at the same time

every stroke.

but if not is there any other sympton to say its the idler gear

jsp

Yes there is a small spring,,, Just use a small short screw driver i.e 1/8 x 3" there is NO screw inside just a plunger, you will be pushing again light pressure , you will hear it make a little click sound that is the plunger moving in the ratchet.

If the bike has kick back or you wacked at the kickstart lever and then you hear a rattle there is a small chance you may have broke a tooth off. But first things first try what you think then move on. Feel free to P.M. me.

If you can get your hands on the motor service manual it is very helpfull, Beta did a very good job of putting a lot of info in it.

The the 4T cam has a small weight that moves inward when revs are low/stopped. This weight holds open one exhaust valve to allow easy starting. Once running the weight is flung out of the way. AAAAAAnd explains why this won't be the noise explained.... sorry.

Ralphy

The the 4T cam has a small weight that moves inward when revs are low/stopped. This weight holds open one exhaust valve to allow easy starting. Once running the weight is flung out of the way. AAAAAAnd explains why this won't be the noise explained.... sorry.

Ralphy

I have serious doubts on that. Where did you come across this information?

Most modern 4 stroke singles have this system. Have a listen to a BMW F650, KLR, XR, CRF, DR, YZF, WR, RMZ, etc. In fact every modern Dirt bike I can think of... Most of them have a slight "rattle" at idle which is the weight not quite "swinging" out after decompression for starting. Very common.

Cheers,

Stork

• 6 years later...