Techno Cut Out And Won't Start

jon015

Went out on my Techno 250 tonight. I topped the fuel tank up with some pre mix fuel at about 75:1 or 160ml Plutoline fully synthetic for 6 litres of fuel. I got a few miles up in to the hills and it back fired a little and started choking and losing power then cut out. Could not start it again? nearly fired up a few times but cut out after about a second. I think this must be something with the new fuel I put in, I did notice when I filled it up some fuel was leaking out of the overflow pipe. Any idea's? Cheers jon

Ok I pulled the spark plug out. It was covered in black stuff, but otherwise seemed ok. I tried to see if there was a spark by touching the thread of spark plug on a bolt on cylinder head bolt and kicking the bike over, obviously with the HT lead attached, is this the correct way as I have never done that before? Could not see a spark, but it was in a well lit room and it's not easy doing it on your own, plus I was in a bit of a hurry when I did that. I also whipped out the air filter which is on it's last legs, starting to perish and covered in a sandy type mud, there is also a lot of mud in the actual air box. I only bought this bike a few weeks ago and even though it looks in pretty good nick from looking at it, it seems it's in need of some TLC on closer inspection. If it is a stator, their expensive to replace? I am in the middle of nowhere, so I can not even get hold of a new spark plug to try that. I tried cleaning the old one? Cheers jon

Could be the CDI unit. Thats exactly what mine did. Worth just checking the obvious bits like kill switch etc and also sounds like it might be worth whipping the carb out and blowing the jets through in case they're full of sand etc from the air box.

If it's the CDI, the only way to really check is to get a new on and put it on unfortunately.

Hope that helps.

Gday, you have a fouled spark plug for starters. This is probably caused by the blocked air filter - get a new one and clean out the air box - you will be getting dirt into the engine which is not a good thing. The new filter may require a light oiling, some are pre-oiled. I use an air filter spray on oil, but ATF will do the job. Remove any excess oil after - search around for air cleaner maintenance threads. The easiest thing to do next is grab a new spark plug (NY7CC champion or better a BP7ES NGK) from any automotive parts place/bike shop (cheaper from a car parts place) and check spark again -you checked it the correct way before - just be careful that the spark does not ignite any air/fuel coming out of the hole while kicking. try to keep it well away from the hole. Having an assistant might help to make it easier. If you have spark - great - put the plug in and start it up, see how it goes. If not, the most likely issue apart from poor electrical connections is the stator (It is a common problem). Check all connectors first as suggested, they must be clean and bright. Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Stork

Had a bit more time to test it today. The good news is I have a spark and it looks consistent. Still won't start though, I have been trying with no air filter in. I am going to mail order an air filter and some filter oil and spark plugs. Should I get some carb cleaner as well? Because I don't think a new air filter is going to help starting it?

Edited by jon015

Samo are you from Slovenia? I did a search on here on stator's and come across one of your posts. That's where I am. jon

Yes I am. I'm near Sl Gradec, that is where most of trial scene is in Slovenia.

Send me a PM.

Have a nice day

Samo