Help - Can't Start My New/ Old Bike

m88rty

hello all,

Just joined the site having taken delivery of a 2001 gas gas txt250 yesterday.

when i try and start it it will turn over but not start, then the kick start will not move for three or four attempts, then it will turn over but not start...

any ideas?

also, where can i track down an owners manual etc for bike?

any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated !!

thanks, i will have a look when i get in from work.

It started on the first kick, revved a litlle then when to a lumpy tickover for maybe 10 seconds before cutting out. it then wouldn't start again.

i've downloaded an online manual from gas gas so i'll have a look through, check oil level etc before going forward.

couriers done a shocking job of transporting it up, it was on its side by the time it got to me, with a bent rear mudguard etc.

i thought it may be flooded, but its the kick then 'jamming' thats concerning me.

I believe it may either be a bent crank, or leaking head gasket... If your heads leaking coolant, it could seep in, sit ontop of the piston and cause too much compression to kick it over again, once it's drained through, it should kick again. Best to try taking the spark plug out and kicking it over, if it kicks over fine thats the problem, if not check the crank.

The first post from motovita is probably your best solution. With the bike delivered on it`s side the crankcase can fill with fluid. Either find the crankcase drain or remove the plug and exhaust. Do not kick over with the plug out or cap off as many a bike has caught fire this way.

okay

take the plug out and turn off the fuel..

kick it over half a dozen times..

make sure the plug is correct and clean it up check the gap is okay

put the plug in the plug cap and lay the metal end against the head and kick over agin you should see a spark

if so its okay

plug back in the engine, petrol off kick again ( it may start, if it does fuel on and stood still rev it out a few times to clear any excess fuel)

now if is physically impossible to kick over with the plug in all is not well something is stopping the piston moving...