Painting Engine And Swing Arm

jandyb

Hi

My 2006 125 pro Racing is the first model where the engine and swing arm are painted in that green/gold "magnesium look" paint. The quality on this first bikes was awful, and now it looks really bad although the bike really is good. I have now stripped it down to paint theese parts. Could someone give me an idea of what color and type of paint to use?

Thanks

-Jan

This has been asked before and you've come up with the same answer - nowt! Magnesium should be protected by zinc chromate primer before other paint apllications. I reckon the truth of the matter is that the factory just used any old paint from the local market and is embarrassed to admit it. PJ1 used to make a gold paint, but it wasn't a perfect match and I can't find it now. If you do find the right colour paint don't forget to apply it with a creosote brush to match the factory finish :rolleyes:

Hi Jan,

I think that never a week goes by without a new question from you!

I like Lowbrow's comment about using a creosote brush but not sure if many people outside the UK would know what that is - well ok then, it's a scabby old bristly brush used for applying a runny tar like liquid to fencing timber. Haven't heard about creosote for years now.

Anyway, zinc chromate primer is a good idea, magnesium alloy corrodes in water so must have it's surface protected - would be why your front motor mount bolt is stuck, all bolts should be greased. I have used an off the shelf spray can for the magnesium cases on a 330 Gas Gas which looks good and has stayed on for over a year, and only cleaned the surfaces with a wire brush for preparation, not a real thorough job. I used CRC "Zinc" spray, in matt black though I have seen many other colours available in the "Zinc" range, I think gold was available too. Would be worth a try having a look for these CRC products, not sure if they are available up your way.

Bye, PeterB.

Hello Peter

Well somebody have to keep this forum going on... :rolleyes:

Dont know why I always get trouble when I am doing something. This time the 06 needed new link arm bearings and I thought I should do the 125 to 200 conversion that I have planned for long. The bad look on the engine and swing arm had annoyed me even since we bought the bike two years ago so i thought that now is the time for action. AND when removing the flywheel cover I discovered some fresh oil underneeth. Again I now have experience from changing bearings and seals so why not. Even easyer to paint the casing when everything is apart.

So why the %

• 2 months later...

Finally got the da***** bolt out. Thats an other story..

Now I have stripped the engine and swing arm down to bare metal. According to a paint shop nearby I should use an acid primer and I will.

But what colour? This is an 06 125ccm racing with chrome frame and red plastic. Original the engine and swing is painted in some gold finish. Later models are more like a light "greenish" colour. I think I would like it to be a light colour with a smooth surface that is easy to clean and that looks clean when it is.

Any suggestions? White maybe? Anyone have pics of bikes with painted engine?

-Jan

FWIW - IMO (It's your bike, so whatever looks good to you)

White - I never thought this was a good color for a bike motor.

Gold - Original color is always best for resale and I think looks nice as it differentiates the R model

Green"ish" - Not the most attractive color- but more current.

Black - Universally used. A safe choice. Nice contrast with the Chrome frame.

Red - Flash back to the older GG's.

Edited by laser1