Ty 175

marky g

Rode a few of the ACU classic rounds last year on my old TY Pinkie, loved the trials, so much so I'm thinking of getting a twinshock bike just for doing these type of trials.

I've always like the look of the TY175, having never ridden one I was wondering what they are like?

They seem's to be loads about (see cheap

I've jusy bought a pinkie with a view to doing the same thing. Having had a TY175 majesty for many years as a schoolboy I would say that it's probably a little bit under powered for an adult rider, other than that it's a superb little bike. It's a great handling flickable bike but just lacks a bit of waft.If you machine the yokes out you can even slip a Mono front end straight in.

I would look for a ty250/majesty as it's probaby better suited to adult riders. Failing that, nice 200 or 240 Fantic is one of the best twinshocks around but it's just not a Yam is it!

If all goes well I'll probably see at a couple of rounds next year.

Cheers for that Hughsey,

I know where there is a tidy one for sale at the right price, I'm going to look at it this Sat.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Yam's, I know the Fantics are good bikes but as you say "they ain't Yams"

You'll love the Classic rounds, sections just right, not too hard but testing at the same time :(, good bunch of lads too.

I never did all the rounds, I think I did about 4, I'm aiming to do all of them this year.

see ya there :D

Me Dad bought one a few months ago from ebay (BIIIGG mistake!) was cheap though.

Had a quick ride on it before was completely stripped and to me was great, even with bald tyres, solid suspension and completly knackered everything else!

Should be rebuilt in a few months I hope. From what ive seen at a few club trials, it is possible to use them in very difficult sections, and I love the looks on peoples faces when someone on a grubby but well loved twin beats thier brand new computerised kit. Maybe on day I can do the same. . . in the novice class of course. . .

Just my tuppence worth, Pete.

I'm campaining on my TY175 in our local events. Being that I ride the easier lines, the lack of power is not an issue. Yamaha makes a very reliable engine and parts are not that hard to get. The bike is very manuoverable and turns great. The forks are a bit light for a fat old fart like me, and I should invest in a pair of good shocks. I do have new tires fitted and they are worth every penny. If I decide to be content with riding the easy lines, the TY175 would serve me well for years. Vintage trials (AHRMA) in the states is slowly growing and I'll keep the bike around for that.

For the Classic series next year the power of a TY175 would actually be ok. There was only one trial where power could offer an advantage through mud and up big climbs - Colchester - but it isn't in next year. The TY would still cope there as you just use the lower gears and scream it till your ears bleed. You just have to be more precise as there is less margin for error on those types of sections with the smaller engine, as if you're in a big gear you can't back off and go again if you get in a mess. A real shame this round is omitted as there were some BIG sections where you could really get on the throttle stop.

With the other rounds there aren't really any events where power will be an issue. Most are technical sections rather than power sappers so suspension set up is more important than power, along with the ability to clutch/brake where necessary. Some rounds, like Bootle, Torridge etc. may have just one or two sections where power may give an advantage but these are the exception rather than the rule and still nothing that the TY can't cope with.

Vitually all of the bikes are standard in reality. Nigel Birkett's Suzuki is indeed his 70s works bike, with the exception of the frame, so it is a one-off and nothing like a regular Beamish. The only bikes to come in for some modification are generally TLR250s as they aren't that good as standard and need a few tweaks (they're not bad, before I upset all TLR owners, just need a few tweaks to improve a few areas) All of the other marques are just ridden as they are. Again, most important thing is that the suspension/clutch/brakes work correctly. It isn't like Pre65 where you have to spend thousands to make a bike work to be competitve with others that have done it. Most later twinshocks can't be improved on that much that it will give anyone a significant advantage, so it isn't as costly as Pre65 to be competitve and you can still get decent bikes for reasonable outlay.

If you don't buy the bike you are going to look at, get in touch with me and I can put you in touch with someone who has a few TY175s for sale, as well as an immaculate Whitehawk 200 which has done virtually nothing from new if you wanted to stretch that far. Something unique for the series - no-one else is riding one. It still has the 'whiskers' on the original tyres I think. I've never ridden one though so can't tell you what they go like. As HondRS says, given your preference for Yams, a 250/320 Majesty is worth considering although the 320s can be a handful - depends how they've been tuned. Finding a good one is also a problem.

Whichever bike you decide upon, you should enjoy the series as it is starting to pick up again these last couple of years. As long as you're not expecting a trail ride though as some can offer a good challenge. Nothing silly (some may argue that about Colchester....) just tradtional type sections, but remember it is a national championship. The Mansell is on the easier side compared to some others. As long as the bike functions as it should it will be ok. Go into it on something with plank like suspension and no brakes and you will struggle.

If you don't buy the bike you are going to look at, get in touch with me and I can put you in touch with someone who has a few TY175s for sale, as well as an immaculate Whitehawk 200 which has done virtually nothing from new if you wanted to stretch that far. Something unique for the series - no-one else is riding one.

Cheers for that Woody, I'll keep you in mind if I don't get any Joy this weekend.

If I get it I'll post some pics :( My mate was sying the first round is in March so it should give me plenty of time to sort out a machine.

Is it much hassle to get an age related number plate for any given bike? I know in the past you had to have a 'certificate of newness' from the importer to get it road legal...is this still the case?.

I would rarther not get a Q plate as I know it's a pain getting insurance for Q plates.

I think you are being a bit kind to some of the classic rounds Woody, one or two of them are very dissapointing, where quite a few people go round clean which in my opinion is a complete waste of time if you can't even get a winner.

Thats why i won't be making the effort again this year.

Not being a Yam fan, (i had a TY175 and it was totally gutless) i wouldn't really know where to point people for a competitive t/shock ride, the TLR has to be a favourite though, it has the best suspension as standard of all the t/shocks, and can find grip like nothing else, but you won't find one for

Mark - the first round is in February as far as I know - the Mansell. link below

http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/showartic...p?articleID=790

Also, this is the link to 2005 calender which shows other rounds

http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/showartic...p?articleID=812

You will need proof of age to get an age related plate but Yamaha UK are usually very helpful in this respect and will send you confirmation. If it is a genuine UK bike they will do it free of charge, if it was an import they charge -

I think you are being a bit kind to some of the classic rounds Woody, one or two of them are very dissapointing, where quite a few people go round clean which in my opinion is a complete waste of time if you can't even get a winner.

You're thinking back too far. The last couple of years has seen an improvement and there have been some good trials. One or two could still be a bit stiffer but that is the problem if it is a combined sidecar / classic round. However, no-one cleaned any of the trials. As you know Nigel Birkett rode them this year and if he didn't clean any they can't be too bad.

The only one I am sceptical of for 2005 is the Doncaster Cup as that has been far too easy in the past on more than one occassion. Hopefully they will have taken notice and improved the standard this time. The Otter Vale round in October can also be a bit easy I'm told but it is one I've never done. Out of the remainer though you have Bootle, Welsh Trophy, Lancs County, Torridge, Hillsborough, all of which are good trials. New for this year are the Sutton Falcons, which should be good, and the Cambourne and Redruth which I assume Colin Dommett will have a hand in, so that too should be good.

Thanks for the input guys :D

Arghhh...I can see myself getting drawn into this Twinshock thing and spending a shed load of money :D

T/SHOCK, I like the TLR, I've had two of them over the years and they are a nice bike (crap front brake though!) what seems to stick in my mind was both of mine seemed to be prone to the dreaded "pop and stop" syndrome (I'm sure you will know what I mean).

Nice bikes all the same, From what I can see you need a grand just to get your foot in the door with a TLR.

WOODY, Looks like I'll have to get a move on for the Mansell, The Clee Hills are just on my doorstep too, lovely area for trials. Hopefully see you there mate :(

Have to disagree slightly about the SWM parts situation, as you know i have one myself, and can generally get hold of anything required.

New engine parts straight from rotax, used engine parts and anything else from Martin at motoswm.com As for the Honda spitting back, i think it's down to individual bikes & riding style, i have never experienced it on my 250 in all the years i've owned it and i've never seen it happen to anyone else, but i could just have been lucky.

Edited by t-shock 250