Markers

montman

We use these from York Survey but they need to be considered as consumables. The wire is a little too small and they bed easily making the nice tidy bunch you get look more like a birds nest in no time. Also the flags blow off in strong winds and or get eaten by sheep if you prepare the trial well in advance. But at the price it hardly matters.

One thing I noticed on my travels this year....

Poor Arthur was in and out of a section at the British round at Kinloch constantly re-straightening a metal flag holder that was getting bent with every rider. At the Scott, with the wooden garden "canes" they use, they need a serious whack to snap them. They've got a good bit of bend in them and just spring back up.

One thing I noticed on my travels this year....

Poor Arthur was in and out of a section at the British round at Kinloch constantly re-straightening a metal flag holder that was getting bent with every rider. At the Scott, with the wooden garden "canes" they use, they need a serious whack to snap them. They've got a good bit of bend in them and just spring back up.

Very good point Andy, but I don't think the problem is with the markers as much as where you place them.

Often with a little thought a marker can be placed so the rider still has to ride the obstacle but the marker is out of harms way.

Never put a marker where it will be close to the best line to take.

Never put a marker on a loose obstacle that is likely to dislodge and fall down.

Never make the marker the obstacle, many a five has been earned by a rider riding the same line as a previous rider who cleaned the section only to gets a five because the marker decided to fall over when the passed it.

The old fashioned 'plastic card markers' as used in the SSDT are easier to see for riders but are a pain in the neck to try and position when setting out a trial where there are no rocks.or conveniant twigs.

Anyway - not seeing the coloured tape on wire markers since the sheep ate it is always a good excuse - I often use it.

Guest Scottie

Re Brit round Kinlochleven

We had the wire marker holders made in Fort William and for the majority of the sections there wasn't a problem. The markers were drilled into the rock and if a rider ran over them then it was fairly obvious, plus they would do little harm to the rider if he fell off. It isn't always possible to keep the flags out of the way of the rider because of the nature of the sections. Plus the riders walk the sections over and over again so they know where all the markers are. All in all they were fairly effective. The marking gear was provided by the SACU and they are good quality and should last for years.

Sandra

[

Often with a little thought a marker can be placed so the rider still has to ride the obstacle but the marker is out of harms way.

Never put a marker where it will be close to the best line to take.

Never put a marker on a loose obstacle that is likely to dislodge and fall down.

Never make the marker the obstacle, many a five has been earned by a rider riding the same line as a previous rider who cleaned the section only to gets a five because the marker decided to fall over when the passed it.

Well put young fella.