First Ride With New Carb

charlie

Well, finally got ride the fantic in anger at the Bath trial at Bannerdown.I was on the harder route doing well, dropped two on first lap. Then the bike stops. Ran back to van. Get plug spanner plus assorted old plugs. Got spark. Runs again. Then stops. Runs again, then stops. Not sure if this is fuel or ignition. My day was over anyhow. Any advice, at the end of tether now. Thinking of selling up and investing in a TLR200.

Thats a shame - it was a good trial even though I fived the first section by going the wrong way..... i didnt realise you were in trouble with the bike,I live about 300 yds from there - we could have got it back to my workshop and scoped the ignition system.Dont give up on the Fantic,those Honda's arent all they are cracked up to be.

Yep,getting that first section wrong really mucked me up,it wasnt till the second lap that I settled down.If you PM a phone number to me I'll give you a call,see if we can sort it out.Do you have a manual with all the settings/specs etc ?

I don't no. I bought the bike as a non runner off ebay four years ago. This is only the second time i've used it. There was no spark. I sourced a new HT coil from Bill Pye and it still wouldn't have it.In the end i purchased a second hand source ignition from ellastone, even though the resistance between the cables on the existing coil checked out OK, anyway I put the new / secondhand source coil on and bingo. Now it seems i've got more troubles. I will send you my phone number. Thank you.

I problems with my 200 similar to yours (maybe) Bill Pye told me it was unlikely to be the trigger (which is attached to the stator plate). I tested the coils on the stator against resistance levels given to me by Lee of this forum, they were close but not spot on. I sent the stator to West Country Winds who tested it and confirmed my findings. They said it was not esential to rewind but i out of furstration decided to anyway. The bike has started first kick every time since even after leaving the fuel tap on for a fortnight!

Edited by Whizzy

:) All of us that own old fantics have been thru this dilemma at one time or another ... Get your source coil rewound and sealed with modern epoxy and move on , And while your there replace all the ign. wiring with high quality wire and soldered w/heatshrink joints and connectors ... Testing the components with a ohm meter will basicly tell you very little, most test fine when cold ! Technology has gotten a little better in the last 20+ years with respect to the way the coils are wound and sealed . And make sure the side cover is sealed up tite ... with the correct vent pipe . A late model coil is also a wise investment too.

Trust me , beside the unservicable swingarm pivots , the stock weak ign. IS the only downfall of the mighty Fantics ... I've got three spare rewound stator plates , but I've never touched it after I rewired and installed the first one , I went on a binge a few years ago and bought all I could find ... They are scarce here in the states , but you folks have people that rewind them , I couldn't locate any here stateside .

Best of luck with your bike , It's more than worth the effort !

Glenn ;)