Changing To 4 Stroke - Help !

deebee

Hi everyone,

I've been riding a Scorpa SY250 for 12 months now (a great great bike) and being a beginner it has served me well. Now thinking of changing to Montesa 4RT or Beta Rev4. Can anyone point me to some test reports on these or give some feedback ? These are expensive bikes so would like to have plenty of info before shelling out hard earned cash. Many thanks from 1 year novice.

Hello Deebee,

Can I ask one question? If you are happy with the Scorpa, why are you thinking of changing? I'm a 'one-year novice' too (admittedly one year from returning after 13 years away, so not a total noob), and ride an old Rev 3. As long as it holds together, it's more bike than I am rider and the more time I spend on it, the better I get. Changing bikes for me is not likely to improve my results (particularly as I am happy with the power delivery, riding position etc so am not fighting it), if anything it will cost me as I spend time adjusting.

Unless it's for the reason that you fancy one! As a motorcyclist, it's acceptable to change bikes using the vaguest of justifications!!

Graham

what suits ,one person,s riding surtenly does not suit another,you have to take a test ride what ever you fancy before making your mind up, keeping in mind that a four stroke and a two stroke make there power differently to one another.,so with it being your first year it will not be a bad time to change,,,,,(it will be a sad day when 2-strokes disapere because of pressure from governts etc.)

I,ve had a 4rt for 2 years now and its been a fantastic bike, I,m about to change to a 200 or 250 Evo simply because I fancy a change and one other reason. The Mont has been great fun to ride,I,ve never owned a Trials bike yet (and I,ve owned a fair few over the years) that puts a smile on my face every time I kick it over. The build quality is second to non, no other Trials bike comes close and the reliability has been exceptional (2 years and no problems even small whatsoever) The Mont rides the same every day whether it be in the middle of winter -10 or midlle of summer 80+, no carb to clean and air box always stays clean.

I,d have no problem hanging onto this bike for the next ten years if I had too its been that good but..........?????????????? like many I have struggled to master grip with it in the very slippy conditions, like a tractor if theres plenty of water about or its p***ing down but shiney polished mud its a nightmare. Be wary of this fact when you decide to buy,the Mont grips very different to anything you will have ridden before,yes I,ve adapted to it and how the power comes in but I struggled dearly first few months to get grip in the winter and I,m not a novice rider. Hope Dad will explain just how bad i struggled with it to start with as I doubt anyone would beleive me if I said here, the only reason I didnt sell it in the first month was because of all plus points some of which I mentionaed above. I stayed away from muddy trials and if it looked like it was going to p*** down on a weekend where it could get slippy I'd go for a practice instead.

Not trying to put you off at all but you must try one in the slippy stuff first or it could be an expensive mistake, the Mont can be a handfull due to its power delivery and weight for someone who hasnt ridden for years but you may love it like I have.

If you do go the 4rt way there are a few things you can do to improve it like air filter type gearing etc, just ask on here

Good luck

Edited by The Addict

endorse /agree with everything the addict says I changed from a 4rts back to 200 betas (my missus rides as well) dead easy to ride but a big dssapointment re build quality and durability (spoilt by the monts?).. try before you buy.. I have to say I'm in the market for a new bike but there's nothing out there that I can ride well and that will last longer than 2 trials without some breakdown/adjustment or other niggle. I'm hanging on to see what new Sherco is gonna be like......may be nice to ride new ideas etc but will it be full of problems ?..what will service be like in this circumstance?...when will it be available? What is the price?.. or shall I just get more Beta 200's? Decisions decisions

I,ve had a 4rt for 2 years now and its been a fantastic bike, I,m about to change to a 200 or 250 Evo simply because I fancy a change and one other reason. The Mont has been great fun to ride,I,ve never owned a Trials bike yet (and I,ve owned a fair few over the years) that puts a smile on my face every time I kick it over. The build quality is second to non, no other Trials bike comes close and the reliability has been exceptional (2 years and no problems even small whatsoever) The Mont rides the same every day whether it be in the middle of winter -10 or midlle of summer 80+, no carb to clean and air box always stays clean.

I,d have no problem hanging onto this bike for the next ten years if I had too its been that good but..........?????????????? like many I have struggled to master grip with it in the very slippy conditions, like a tractor if theres plenty of water about or its p***ing down but shiney polished mud its a nightmare. Be wary of this fact when you decide to buy,the Mont grips very different to anything you will have ridden before,yes I,ve adapted to it and how the power comes in but I struggled dearly first few months to get grip in the winter and I,m not a novice rider. Hope Dad will explain just how bad i struggled with it to start with as I doubt anyone would beleive me if I said here, the only reason I didnt sell it in the first month was because of all plus points some of which I mentionaed above. I stayed away from muddy trials and if it looked like it was going to p*** down on a weekend where it could get slippy I'd go for a practice instead.

Not trying to put you off at all but you must try one in the slippy stuff first or it could be an expensive mistake, the Mont can be a handfull due to its power delivery and weight for someone who hasnt ridden for years but you may love it like I have.

If you do go the 4rt way there are a few things you can do to improve it like air filter type gearing etc, just ask on here

Good luck

God man, all this time and all that BS and you never figured out whayt that lever on the left is for? IT applies your TRACTION(power), screw your RPM or Gearing!

Of course, riding clutch out, you will get along better in the slippery sections on a 125, may improve your score! :rolleyes:

The Beta is cheeper. Lots

Mot 4rt can be a bit brutal down low as.... perhaps.... lack feel

The Beta has a carb which is what... perhaps.... is what makes it get great rider feel for the traction

No Engine issues with the Beta 4t.... not like the 2t which had a few issues (that were well covered by importers)

Tests....

http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/html_files/beta4t.html

http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/html_files/bvmtest08.html

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/beta_evo_4t/index