Ahrma Aircooled Monoshock Class?

joekarter

I'd say you're gonna have to start locally if you want to compete with a Air Mono,find out where all the Air Monos are hiding by asking around at trials events,both vintage and modern,get the guys who own them to get them up and running,and possibly organize a "evolution day"

I agree that AHRMA is not headed in that direction.... although I would think they would want any bike/rider they could get. You might check in at the ITSA and STRA sites.

Our local club (CVOTC) will let you ride anything - they won't give you a special class for it (you would be riding against modern bikes) but you sure can ride ....and we would welcome you.

Alan

AHRMA riders are great people.

AHRMA has lots of great volunteers that keep the series alive and kicking.

Contact your local organizer to see if they will let you ride exhibition/no points. They are more open minded thanAHRMA the rule makers.

AHRMA board of directors have a very strange idea of what the sport of TRIALS is. I am trying very hard to be nice.

Edited by twinshocked

:rotfl: Didn't mean to be rude or anything , But AHRMA won't let "modern twinshocks " compete for points ...

But get to a local event and just ride exhibition , I can't think of any groups that would tell you that you can't ride ! Unless the bike has knobby tires on it and/or looks to be unsafe to ride ...

But truly , just get out and ride ....................

Gotta go load the trailer and go play :guinness:

Didn't mean to imply that I've not been allowed to ride with Ahrma, I'm sure I would be. Like I said, I've ridden my Rev3 with another group and had a blast. My question really, is that I've been considering getting a second bike just to ride vintage stuff with and to have in case a friend would like to try out trials. I raced MX pretty much throughout the 70's and 80's and rode about a year of trials on an OSSA in '79 and '80, so I'm pretty familiar with older bike and spanish stuff in particular. My thoughts though, are that I'd really rather have a TY350 than the older stuff just because they're more plentiful (read cheaper) and I wouldn't feel the need to be as careful with it. A number of years ago I restored a vintage Elsinore and, while it turned out very cool looking, I was so afraid of breaking it that I really didn't enjoy it.

Anyhow, it just seems with that in both trials and MX, the '80s bikes are getting old enough to start being included in the vintage scene. To me anyway, the point is to encourage folks to continue riding and having fun with bikes (even if they can't afford the newest stuff, or the $5000 restoration.

If you go through their (AHRMA) website http://www.ahrma.org/ you'll see they've voted on modern twinshock nearly every year for the past five or six. It's always been voted down. When an excuse has been offered, it's been "we'd need more lines".

I'm just a novice but I simply don't buy it. If Pre '65 and classic modern can compete on most of the same lines, certainly modern twinshocks and maybe even aircooled monoshocks can.

My local AHRMA group http://www.rockymountainregionvintagemotorcycleclub.org/ will let modern twin shocks ride. They even get awarded event ribbons I believe, but they don't collect year-long championship points. I think it's a shame. Do we really want to let these great bikes, these pieces of history rot? Letting them compete would go a long way toward saving many of them. Not to mention the chance of attracting more people and money to our events if they were allowed to compete.

As I said, I haven't been doing vintage trials long at all, but so far AHRMA has struck me as an organization burdened with an overabundance of politics.

However the people at the Rocky Mountain Region are GREAT PEOPLE! I hope your local group is as organized and friendly.

Our club welcomes everyone, we are out to have fun.

Ahrma has been turning down the "modern" twin shock class since 2000 or so,

1979 and newer twin shock, aircooled, drum brakes.

the real modern bikes aren't that much of an advantage in a no stop section.

The rider is the biggest determining factor in trials.

Our club welcomes everyone, we are out to have fun.

Ahrma has been turning down the "modern" twin shock class since 2000 or so,

1979 and newer twin shock, aircooled, drum brakes.

the real modern bikes aren't that much of an advantage in a no stop section.

The rider is the biggest determining factor in trials.

Hey Amos, where can we write and vent our feeling to ahrma about their attitude towards post 79 Twinshocks.

AHRMA = American Hypocrites Refusing (TS) Motorcycle Access

You can email your comments to Ed Peacock. He is the Trials coordinator. I really think Ed would like to add more "classes". The AHRMA Board is something of an roadblock on just about anything.

You might want to follow things here: http://www.vintagebikeracing.com/

Not trying to start a fight here.... I'm a AMA and AHRMA member.

Alan