Unleaded Fuel

holti999

Hi, I have just bought a sherpa to re-live my youth after last owning one as a schoolboy in 1976. (funny thing age and nostalgia) Anyway it occured to me that we now only buy unleaded fuel and wondered if the different octane rating affects the engine or is an additive needed? I have read with interest the items related to fuel/oil ratio but would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Cheers

I'm not sure that this will do you much good but.....

I use 110 leaded gas in my Sherpa T. This is a gas that auto racers and small airplanes use so it is available most places. I really think that there is no reason to not use regular petrol from the pump.

Alan

Hi, I have just bought a sherpa to re-live my youth after last owning one as a schoolboy in 1976. (funny thing age and nostalgia) Anyway it occured to me that we now only buy unleaded fuel and wondered if the different octane rating affects the engine or is an additive needed? I have read with interest the items related to fuel/oil ratio but would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Cheers

Run 40:1 fuel mixture

Only use a semi synthetic modern off road competition 2 stroke oil

and use the highest octane fuel you can get (usually Shell V-Power 99 octane)

DO NOT use fully synthetic oil

This is the standard recommendation as stated by Bultaco UK

Don't worry about using unleaded fuel - have done it for years in twinshock's with no problems

Thanks

I use unleaded fuel (ROZ 91) from the pump with 1:40 fully synthetic oil. This stuff works well on mine, so I can't see any thing why I should change. Why doesn't Bultaco UK recommend the fully synthetic oil? I don't use it for the running in procedure but after that I can't see any disadvantages due to this oil.

bye, Felix

I use unleaded fuel (ROZ 91) from the pump with 1:40 fully synthetic oil. This stuff works well on mine, so I can't see any thing why I should change. Why doesn't Bultaco UK recommend the fully synthetic oil? I don't use it for the running in procedure but after that I can't see any disadvantages due to this oil.

bye, Felix

Call them to find out....

bye, Felix

For running in fully synthetic is "to good" ie it doesn't bed in.

Hi - There is no problem at all with using a good standard (as opposed to racing) fully synthetic oil such as Castrol TTS as a pre mix for running in or general use in your Bultaco.

Even though there is only a marginal benefit over using a good part synthetic oil, fully synthetics are designed oils as opposed to adapted mineral oils and at moments of stress for your engine will provide the most effective protection. I'm happy to pay the extra few quid for that benefit.

You can read up on all aspects of oils at http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ or if you phone them they are very helpful and will dispel any doubts you may have or oily myths in general.

One interesting fact that they did pass on is that most over the counter synthetics are designed for minimum mix of 50:1.

Since the introduction of Castrol TTS I have been using it in my Bultaco at 50:1 with premium unleaded with 30ml Millers octane plus per 5lts. The octane booster solved a detonation problem on my 175 Bultaco so I now use it regulaly on all the others. Never had any mechanical problems and carbon in the combustion chamber is minimal. Sludge & carbon buildup in the exhaust is much less now than in bikes I had in the eighties.

For running in fully synthetic is "to good" ie it doesn't bed in.

Isn't that what I was talking about? Or did I write a little bit weird (I'm from Germany so english is not my mother tongue).

bye, Felix

Cheers

One other reason for useing a high octane fuel in a 2 stroke is when you add the oil to the fuel, the octane is reduced :ph34r:

Sounds wierd - but the more synthetic the leaner the mix.

I have been running 98 octane with fully synthetic oil (Motorex) @ 50:1 for twelve months now and not a problem. no spuge in muffler and not dry either. and smeels better too - (not sure where the needle clip is though)

i use the same fuel for both the sherpa and the Gas Gas EC300

Also i use Castrol MTX for the clutch and find it's great.

• 1 month later...