Clutch Drag

caddabs

Can anybody offer some advice please as i am new to the world of hydraulic clutches.

I have a 2000 290 which has some clutch drag. Its fine when its good and warm, but when its just started its a bit of a handful ! I have changed the oil (450ml - what a pain that was!), but that doesnt seem to have helped.

Is this usual for a Sherco? Can i adjust it out at the handlebar end?

May be a dumb question, but i have never had a hydraulic clutch before and am not sure how to adjust them. Having stuck Mr Jarvis through a hedge trying to find nuetral, i am quite keen to sort it out.

many thanks - Caddabs

Welcome to the Sherco owners club,use the following recipe only if your clutch sticks when cold (and works well when warmed up):

Keep bike in shed or garage overnight to be sure you are starting from cold.

Use a full dollop of choke.

Add a big handful of clutch.

Raise the gear lever 'till you find 5th.

Gently rock bike back and forth until the clutch/rear wheel frees up.

Select neutral.

Release clutch.

Use one or two judicious prods of the kick start to fire up the bike.

Remove choke from the mix.

Voila, your bike should be ready to ride..........but just in case :icon_salut: ...don't point it at your car ... my brothers bike climbed up his pickup truck all by itself once :wub: .

If your clutch still sticks when warm then that's a mechanical fault and requires a bit more info than I can provide.

Many thanks - i will try that. Nearly put mine through the shed wall yesterday !!

Nice one - Cheers Caddabs :wub:

Yea, well, if you leave the things set, that happens, called stuck! As the plates are stuck together by the surface friction of the oil and such.

A dragging effect after normal release can be the effect of warped plates, and has the bike wanting to creep a lot, even with the clutch fully applied. This may require new plates to correct.

A stuck one does not creep at all, as it is directly engaged, and will take you where you point it! :icon_salut:

Re your clutch drag prob, it may not even be the hydraulic release mechanism, on my 2001 Sherco a lot of use caused the "ears" on the clutch plates to wear slots in the clutch drum "arms", this stops the plates from separating properly when the clutch is pulled in = drag even when hot. If the slots aren't too deep sometimes you can dress them out with a file, if they're too bad it's a new clutch drum/primary gear set. This prob affects lots of trials bikes ridden on the clutch all the time, hope this helps!

Last time I looked the basket & hub looked good, only did bearings & seals about 2 months ago. I did the slave cylinder last year.

I know exactly what you mean about notched clutches & seeing as I use the clutch for finding grip etc the lever is hardly ever fully out, constantly amazed as to lack of wear