Fantic 240 Carb And Wheel Questions

ben_r

Hi guys,

I have a recently bought a Fantic 240 which is coming as a few boxes of parts. I have a few questions which I hope all the Fantic nuts here can help my with.

1. Does anyone know the rim offset for the front and rear wheels? The bike is coming with rims/hubs disassembled.
  2. Can anyone recommend a period carb, and settings? I cannot run an OKO as it will be ineligible for our national Twinshock class. Has anyone tried a Mikuni VM26? If so, do you have setup specs?
  3. If I can get hold of a 200 top clamp, does it bolt straight on? Any mods required?

Thanks in advance guys,

Cheers,

Ben

I should be able to help with the wheel offsets but not until the weekend, I have a pair of 240 wheels but at the back of an unlit shed underneath loads of other stuff - unless someone else provides them beforehand

Why not just fit a new standard spec Delorto - not sure what the prices are in Australia but here they are a bit less than a new VM Mikuni at about

Hi guys,

I have a recently bought a Fantic 240 which is coming as a few boxes of parts. I have a few questions which I hope all the Fantic nuts here can help my with.

1. Does anyone know the rim offset for the front and rear wheels? The bike is coming with rims/hubs disassembled.
  2. Can anyone recommend a period carb, and settings? I cannot run an OKO as it will be ineligible for our national Twinshock class. Has anyone tried a Mikuni VM26? If so, do you have setup specs?
  3. If I can get hold of a 200 top clamp, does it bolt straight on? Any mods required?

Thanks in advance guys,

Cheers,

Ben

I know its a bit of a distance from you but I've always found the UK's Dellorto importers to be brill at info and parts supply (seem to have everything!), even to the specs/jetting/setup of carbs originally supplied on bikes, they're called Eurocarb in Tilehurst, Reading, www.dellorto.uk , they're usually cheaper than buying the carb parts through the bike's dealer too! Think 240 carb was a 26mm Dellorto PHBL (I stand to be corrected!) hope this helps

Contact Classic trials , as he does mikuni's on the fantics too , and may share the info . But it's to bad you can't use his OKO conversion , they work quite well . The only serious mod the 240's need is cuttiing off the stock footpeg stubs and welding on some modern mounts down and back a little bit . And the bushing and greasable swingarm shaft kit from classic is the bee's knees too . If the bike is already apart , now would be a good time for that bit of modern improvement too ... His bushings are finished honed inside and install easy into the arm , Getting the old bearing out if nasty can be harder ...

Good luck and keep the fantics rolling !!!

Glenn

Found the wheels

To measure, I put a long ruler across the hub with the brakeplate removed so it overhung the edge of the rim and then measured the distance to the rim (the flat side of the rim rather than the little lip that runs around the edge as not all rims have that lip)

Front offset is 22mm

Rear offset is 68mm

Hi Glenn,

I still have the original rim, so I can measure the old rim and the new rim, and work it out that way. I ended up going with some Morads supplied by Central Wheel - should be over here in Aus after Christmas I hope.

Totalshell - I will pick the bike up in a week or two and inspect the carb - I have located a supplier of parts so it just might need a rebuild. The previous owner's assessment of the carb was "it's stuffed!" Once I work out what is wrong, I might give you a buzz.

Cheers,

Ben

I was just stating that 'cause when I had S.S. spokes made up to lace excel rims onto my 240 hubs , I was asked to take a measurement that way in several places around the rim and then average them out (bent, cracked old rims ) . and send that info along with hubs to save alot on shipping costs ...

Good luck with the 240 , you'll love it when it comes together !

Glenn