Video: Tarres Training His Neck

funtrials

Thanks to Ham2's post, I found this weight-room video (start of video) of JT training in the gym:

If you speak Spanish, the "related videos" on Youtube you'll see could be a gold-mine of riding info. Not sure how good this "Jordi Tarres" bloke is however, but he looks pretty good (almost as good as me) in those videos. :)

We have a kid's video and it shows Bill Markam stretching his neck (among other areas) since "helmets are heavy".

My question is: how important, if at all, is training or stretching one's neck for trials?

Also, what exercises do you guys recommend for this? I train at a gym, but have never done neck exercises.

My question is: how important, if at all, is training or stretching one's neck for trials?

Also, what exercises do you guys recommend for this? I train at a gym, but have never done neck exercises.

I tend to use 2 exercises to strengthen the neck.

One in which you place a Stabilizer biofeedback (looks like a BP cuff) device under the neck, increase the pressure to a set mmHg and then attempt various exercises while either maintaining the pressure or slightly increasing it.

The second is similar to an abdominal crunch on a swiss/exercise ball. Relax back full over the ball and then perform the crunch but only bringing your head as far as its ideal anatomical position. The challenge is that your having to maintain your head position despite gravity. In a gym this one is always particularly challenging as abdominal cradles (in which you lie back and perform ab exercises with a fully supported neck) have led to a massive imbalance in some individuals ratio of strength between abdominal and cervical spine.

Obviously these often need GP clearance particularly in those suffering any balance issues but when used as part of a program they make a huge difference.

Hope that helps

Hugely important in any sport in my opinion for various reasons. The helmet adds to the weight of your head and if your head moves away from its ideal position (fatigue) this translates through the body and you end up compensating. From another point of view doing long road trials with the wind hitting your face and constantly jumping ditches etc such as in the ssdt puts a huge strain on various muscles such as the scalenes. If these (and many others) tighten excessively it can result in a forward head posture. I see a lot of people with this sort of posture resulting in an altered angle of their 1st rib and clavicle shoulder_thoracic_outlet_syndrome_anat02.jpg

This can close the thoracic outlet in which various nerves run through, its quite a common question on here relating to 'tennis elbow' or carpal tunnel issues' and is one of the reasons I've always recommended proper postural alignment no matter what level we ride at.

Tried to make that as simple as possible but its a complicated area/topic.