Fat Bars

feetdown

They also have a little bit more flex than bars with a cross bar and can be easier on your hands/ wrists. When slamming the skid plate down on a big rock or log, less impact is fed through the bars.

Edited by mcman56

If the bike has clamps for fat bars than fat bars are great.

But if the bike has 7/8" clamps, I personally don't think the benefits of fat bars are great enough to justify the out lay of $$$$$ for new clamps. Some bikes have removable clamps that are easy to change, but my 2000 sherco would require an entire new top triple clamp. Just seems a bit too expensive for the benefits (??? whatever they are)

They also have a little bit more flex than bars with a cross bar and can be easier on your hands/ wrists. When slamming the skid plate down on a big rock or log, less impact is fed through the bars.

I think most of the fat bars are actually stiffer than the older cross bar type, there are a few decent riders around here who have gone back to the cross bar handlebars because they feel they give a little more flex.

Basically Fat Bars flex less than the traditional Bars. As such riders who trick ride prefer them as they have better "feel" for that type of riding. That is on the back wheel. You pull up and they are precise about doing it. The traditional bars work best when you ride "with" the front wheel which is to say it follows the ground more.