Sheffield 2005 Minus Two Brits

carly

The less poeple on other brands in with a chance the better :D

Isn't Montesa called Wild in spain? so wild are playing the wild card :ph34r:

Should get Marky, Munch, and the rest of the Wild men reved up that, wot thi think.

Thought I would have had some bites by now.

Anyway I'll post the results.

1 . Cabestany

2 . Raga

3 . Doug

4 . Fuji

5 . Frexia

6 . Blazusiak

Edited by ishy

Who decides who can ride?

It seems it's not a real World Championship if it's not open to allcomers.

I know you can only have a few riders, and if I were the organisers investing the money, I'd want to make sure I could choose which riders were in it. For instance, you wouldn't want to leave out the crowd pleasers like Mr Showtime - oops!

I'm not suggesting we can change this. In most sports, to enter the World Championships a competitor would have to rely on sponsorship and outside backing. Maybe if this were the case, then even one of the top riders might be left out.

If the organiser's are paying their way, then they should be able to choose I suppose.

How does it get sorted out?

The world rankings from the previous outdoor championship sets the entry and the hosting body are allowed to choose the wild card riders.

Edited by ishy

The world rankings from the previous outdoor championship sets the entry and the hosting body are allowed to choose the wild card riders.

Ah right - seems fair (almost), although I think most people would agree that indoor is totally different to outdoor.

Can't complain with that though I suppose, wouldn't be financially viable to run qualifiers.

Not sure how Blazusiak will get on with it. It does seem unfair that there will be a fair few more deserving riders who won't be able to ride.

Isn't the qualifying status for the European's that you're not in the top 12 or 15 in the world? Although I'd be willing to admit I may be wrong, I've only seen him ride once at Hawkstone. Is it going to be a case of "Great rider but not in the same class as the rest of 'em"?

If we were to pick one wildcard from Britain, you would think that Jarvis or Colley would be fighting for it. I think they could have got away with either of them without being accused of blatant favouritism.

As good as it is to see the likes of Shaun Morris there for the "Experience" if we're quite honest and cruel, he didn't come close last year, and I think if a rider is just short of the standard it makes a big difference indoor (stooge almost).

What's the real idea of the wildcard? Entertainment/experience/other.

By making the Indoor Championship available to only the top six outdoor riders creates in my opinion a couple of problems,For the sport to grow and manufacturers to continue to be involved, they need to be competing in the indoor championship as well , this year only three of the manufacturers will be there, Beta have lost there right to field a rider as Cabestany will be riding a Sherco, leaving 3 montys and 2 Gassers. The gap between these riders and the rest will widen as they get the benefit of the 'additional' competition at this elite level, secondly the outdoor results vs indoor results are variable at best. When Cabestany won in 02 he had just finished 6th in the outdoors, The two years Raga has won he had finished 4th in the outdoors , Fuji the current outdoor champ has only won one indoor event! Would it be better for all the FACTORY TEAMS to field their top say two or three riders[10 or 15 competitors] and to run a qualifying heat to eliminate the poorer performers. This way more than the top 6 in the world get a crack at it, the fans get to see their brand of bike competing

Still no one has come up with a reason why Antoni Bou did'nt get a ride on his Beta, because he has beaten nearly all the worlds top riders indoors including D L. If thats not a good enough track record to get a ride what is. :wall:

I'm not much of a 'Statto' I'm afraid (ignoramus), so tell me - has a wildcard rider won any of the events so far?

That would be my concern if I was an organiser. If for example Blazusiak wins the first round, then I would think it makes a bit of a mockery of the Championship as the Championship leader won't be at round 2.

Hopefully I've missed something in my limited understanding, otherwise that could be a very good reason why Bou is not going to Sheffield. I don't want to take anything away from Blazusiak but he's not expected to win.

And while we're at it, fill another hole in my limited knowledge. Why did Kenichi Kuroyama take such little part in last years? Was he injured? Presumably he qualified by position in 2003 outdoor. Exciting to watch, what I've seen of him.

Edited by bikespace

YOU may have hit the nail on the head. Antoni Bou won a indoor trial in Italy early this year. beating most of the worlds top riders. If he got a ride at Sheffield it mite upset someone. Bluziack (incorrect spelling) will not upset the star's. By the way, i think :wall: that Bou is younger than Dabell.