Is The Used Montesa 4rt Too Dear?

johnnyboxer

Just looking at some used 4RT bikes recently to buy .......................I've had a 2005/2006/2007 4RT before and used prices seem to be going up lately.................lack of supply

In comparision to other brands of trials bikes, they seem to represent not good value today

For example a 2008 Beta 4T 250 from a main dealer can be had for

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Okay slightly off topic, it's not a Mont but look at this for a recent bargain...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now that is a bargain, must have forgot to hit the end item button or got a mate to bid it up to let it go at that.

My 07 4rt is prob worth about 2,300 ish, its had alot of use over the past 3 years, maybe 1500-1800 hours, SSDT and Scott but still feels strong and full of life. I've owned plenty of 2 stroke bikes and with that sort of weekly use they're pretty tired after a year or so and start to cost money, the Mont doesnt and I look upon mine as a really cheap way to go Trialling, way cheaper than any 2 stroke I've ever bought.

The problem I have with buying a new Mont is the new price of them, mines still good for years yet and after riding much later models I still prefer mine so why upgrade? I would love to have a new Mont but as I said, the price is wrong

Edited by The Addict

There's been several Beta 4T's go for little or no money on ebay lately, here's another beta cheap I personally doubt they really go for this money & are actually 'bought in' They do tend to reappear again a few weeks later.

Based on the number of bikes on ebay lately you'd suspect that the best seller in the last 2 years has been the Beta.

Edited by PERCE

There is no distributor for montesa bikes in the uk

True but there is Honda UK and I'm sure enough Honda dealers would take one each under instructiion from them (no big servicing liability at that ratio) to use up a UK allocation if things went that way. Dumping of a sort was done before with the original Montesa Hondas but I can't remember what channels they went through.

True but there is Honda UK and I'm sure enough Honda dealers would take one each under instructiion from them (no big servicing liability at that ratio) to use up a UK allocation if things went that way. Dumping of a sort was done before with the original Montesa Hondas but I can't remember what channels they went through.

Even if honda did force the bikes on to honda dealers they would have to retail them for so much more money than any other trials bike, who's gonna buy them? nobody bought 09 bikes, sandifords only just got in to double figures last year and i suspect thats why they dropped the brand!

Unless the pound suddenly rockets against the euro new monts are never going to come down to "normal money"

If the euro was the value it is now back in 2005 when 4rt's were new, they would have cost

Even if honda did force the bikes on to honda dealers they would have to retail them for so much more money than any other trials bike, who's gonna buy them? nobody bought 09 bikes, sandifords only just got in to double figures last year and i suspect thats why they dropped the brand!

Unless the pound suddenly rockets against the euro new monts are never going to come down to "normal money"

If the euro was the value it is now back in 2005 when 4rt's were new, they would have cost

I bought a new bike just about every year, reason? because they were tired by then and needed changing before you started ploughing money into them. The Mont doesnt seem to get tired, mine certainly isnt after 3 years of abuse, so no need to change. Honda have made as odd as it seems "to good a bike" - "to reliable" - "to expensive"

I'm a massive 4rt fan, and I would love a new one simply for the fact its a new bike, theres no way on earth I'm parting with nearly 7k for a trials bike though when the one I've got already is good. These bikes need to be 4.5k to shift them if thats what they want, and they need to hold that price for some time untill a new model comes out.

Edited by The Addict

I bought a new bike just about every year, reason? because they were tired by then and needed changing before you started ploughing money into them. The Mont doesnt seem to get tired, mine certainly isnt after 3 years of abuse, so no need to change. Honda have made as odd as it seems "to good a bike" - "to reliable" - "to expensive"

I'm a massive 4rt fan, and I would love a new one simply for the fact its a new bike, theres no way on earth I'm parting with nearly 7k for a trials bike though when the one I've got already is good. These bikes need to be 4.5k to shift them if thats what they want, and they need to hold that price for some time untill a new model comes out.

Why do you need a new bike for the same old ass? That is the question!