Sherco 2.9 2001

bardolphs

Hi,

Just bought a 2001 2.9. Completely new to the bike, so here goes.

The bike started with a few kicks the day I bought it OK. Got it home and after a few kicks got it going.

Out of interest, which is the normal running position for what appears to be the choke ? (Or is this a primer ?)

Ran it for around 20 minutes to see how it felt and I was happy with it.

Put fuel in tonight and give it a few kicks - nothing !

There is a spark, though it does seem a little weak and there is petrol on the plug.

Is there any chance this might just be a plug, or is it more likely to be an ignition issue ?

I've read some of the other posts and ignition problems seem quite common. Just annoyed that I've literally had the bike out once.

Any help much appreciated.

If the little lever is UP, the choke is ON!

If the plus was wet, it may well be fouled. Get a new NGK BP5ES aand set to 0.5mm.

One would not want to run with the choke on for long, just get it started with it and kick it off after a few seconds while then keeping a few revs in the motor using the throttle. They may well bog an complain a bit till you get some heat into the motor, yet do not rev the motor excessively during this warm up period as it is not good for the pistons, yet at the same time, you would want it off the choke as soon as possible to prevent plug fouling. Hope that makes sense! :biggrinsanta:

Also REMEMBER routine of placing bike into 4th gear, pull clutch in and rock back and forth with butt on seat untill clutch positively disengages and bike will roll. Otherwise you may be in for a BIG surprise when you put it into first gear, as the clutch plates will stick together after sitting, NEVER trust them, and be sure you are pointed towards a clear area! :thumbup:

Cheers,

MC

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I'll try and get a new plug later today and give it a go.

Should these usually start with one or two kicks then ?

Fingers crossed.

Yup (I've had 4 Shercos),more than 2 prods then there's something wrong...especially if you do the clutch free-up like Cope says as you will also be priming the bore at the same time.

New plug fitted and set to 0.5mm. Nothing !

There is a spark with the plug out, though nothing special. How healthy should the spark be with the plug out and kicked over by hand.

I've a feeling this is now either slipped timing or a windings issue. I was supposed to taking it out this week too.

New plug fitted and set to 0.5mm. Nothing !

There is a spark with the plug out, though nothing special. How healthy should the spark be with the plug out and kicked over by hand.

I've a feeling this is now either slipped timing or a windings issue. I was supposed to taking it out this week too.

The spark never seems strong, it just needs to be there! Of course , with no joy here you get into another realm of possibilities that I think you had already read upon.

Seems there is some logic to this madness, yet it can be a process. :biggrinsanta:

Out of interest, I'm using a mix of 50:1 (2%) It did run on this last week and now has a new plug fitted.

The plug does appear wet with fuel. Still not firing. There's no way this could ber a fuel problem is there ?

Now waiting for flywheel puller to have a look in there.

Copie how long does a bike have to sit before the clutch sticks and has to be rocked in 4th gear ?

few days, I never bother with the rocking in 4th bit , just start it, point to a clear space, slip it into gear with the bike moving, and ride about with the clutch in until it frees.

Copie how long does a bike have to sit before the clutch sticks and has to be rocked in 4th gear ?

HeHe! That is a good question! In my personal experience, I have had them stick after a good long walk of a section on a cold day! That was the shortest!

For the longest? Well it was the day I picked up your '03 bike from you after sitting a couple weeks or more. Probably took 3 or more minutes of it before it broke loose while shifting gears and bouncing on it if front of your mothers house! That bike was just a racey bitch! Yet performed well!

I've had them stick after a lunch break as well!

Bottom line, seems twofold, yet no total resolve, possibly short of grinding grooves in the plates(as you might suggest) the fresher the oil seems the better it works and the thinner oils (atf)seems less prone! Add, even on the ATF, I am not running cheap ****, but the Mercedes spec stuff synthetic.

As I have little problem running the thinner oil, I doubt I will do otherwise as I basically find it a non issue while using the simple procedure upon startup.

The other thought that comes to mind is the fact that just because you run the bike and have a bit if hot water circulating does not neccessarily mean you have much if any warmth into the gearbor or gear oil! On a cold day this stuff may be relatively un warmed!

Take all that and go figure your odds, while pointing at a tree! It will stop you! :rolleyes:

Out of interest, I'm using a mix of 50:1 (2%) It did run on this last week and now has a new plug fitted.

The plug does appear wet with fuel. Still not firing. There's no way this could ber a fuel problem is there ?

Now waiting for flywheel puller to have a look in there.

Getting back to it, most are running 70 or 80:1 with the the modern oils(synth), still doubt the 50 mix would be an issue on a new plug as they wil run o it!

Hi All,

Jarred off now. Received flywheel puller today and got it off without any issues (Impact gun to remove the nut). Woodruff OK, timing appears to still be at factory setting. I did retard it a few degrees to see if this helped starting. Still nothing.

Took the carb out and stripped it, pretty much spotless in there. Jets etc all OK.

Back to thinking that it's either a coil or stator issue.

Out of interest, without a plug fitted and with a metal rod inserted into the plug cap, my spark only jumps around 5mm to the frame, even then it doesn't appear to be every stroke. If anyone has 5 mins spare, would you mind comparing ?

I've mailed Steve (out in Spain) to try and get some measurements across the coils etc.

Really hoped to get it going today :-(

Don't really want to start sending items away until I'm pretty sure they're at fault.

Thanks all and Happy Christmas.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS..

We have lift off. Running at last.

Found a bad connection on the stator, (re-soldered).

Put some fuel in the bore and got some life. Eventually pulled the carb apart again and found that the fuel pin (Off the floats) was sticking shut.

I guess this must have stuck somehow when I drained the fuel to repair the fuel tank.

Thanks all for all the help and tips. At least I've now had most of the bike apart and know where everything is !

Cheers, Richard.