Sherpa In Action

pat

Hi

I was very impressed by the pictures and video of the El Puma Bultaco.

But they set me thinking.

When i watched the Perce Simon last year I breifly made a comment to a James rider that his bike looked and handled nothing like the James 250's I remembered in the early 60's.

My comment was not critical but one of admiration as to the level of preparation.

But it does beg the question "Exactly what is a genuine pre 65".

And now what is a genuine Sherpa judging by the pictured version with ?Beta forks?.

I have two Sherpa, a 91 (road reg, ground up rebuild) and 198-a.

I intend to keep the 91 original but am tempted to play with the 198-a perhaps starting with the head angle but wish to know how much the alter the angle or whether to just increase the length of the rear shocks.

Good video and pics thank you.

martin

The Puma bikes do have a slight reduction in head angle, but I have no idea of measurements. However, you can only reduce it a little on the Bultaco as the rear mudguard stay will hit the frame downtube. The Puma bikes have different guard braces so I guess he can get a little extra.

The bike with the Beta (or whatever they are) modern forks isn't a Puma. Puma retains the original componenets so they still look like the original.

I fitted longer rear shocks on my 340 Sherpa and it steers fine (12mm I think) The sections we ride here aren't the same as the Spanish classic trials sections. Theirs are a bit tighter with less of a run up to obstacles in some intances, given the differing terrain of some of their events, so they have quicker steering, peppier motor set up.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic