Sherpa In Action

pat

There are 2 black Sherpas, the one in this video is the other one, definitely a Puma bike as it is one of the 3 that I tried

Good video, 1:30 being the absolute highlight

Yes I'm aware of the other one, must have a picture of it somewhere.

This one? (courtesy of todotrial forum)

b0ac813b.jpg

Re the stuck throttle... Notice the slapped wrists? The temptation is there to try pop the plug cap off eh!! Results would of been interesting.

Times like that a kill switch is a useful addition!!

Wayne.....

Edited by wayne_weedon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b0ac813b.jpg

Re the stuck throttle... Notice the slapped wrists? The temptation is there to try pop the plug cap off eh!! Results would of been interesting.

Wayne.....

"Results would of been interesting" ?

b0ac813b.jpg

Wayne.....

Yes, that's the Puma bike. His latest bikes seemed to have a much shorter exhaust whereas all the previous bikes had the longer front pipe crossing over the engine.

Loved the bit in the video where he slapped his hand away. Wasn't sure if he was doing it to spare the man from pain or out of concern that it might wreck his ignition if it was fitted with electronic. After all that he then let go of the clutch with spectacular rsults. I reckon if he'd have popped that plug cap he'd have been launched higher than the Mont was....

Did you see this one? Look at 1:30 in particular!!

Some good rides in there too. The black Sherpa and it's rider does seem to perform well.

Wayne...

Absolutely Priceless (1:30).......thanks, I haven't laughed that hard in weeks. A good example for minding your own business. The "Puma Sherpa" sounds like a modern bike......very nice.

Wow, that looks fun! Forgive an ignorant American but are they riding non stop rules, and how strictly is it enforced?

Yes they are run to non-stop rules with 3 routes usually, but as you can see from the videos, a few riders take a few liberties with stopping and flick turning or stopping to regain control.

When I rode in the Robregordo event, nearly all riders I saw seemed to abide by the rules and ride in the spirit of proper no-stop. Alfredo Gomez was riding a Puma Bultaco and with his ability he could easily have stopped and hopped his way out of trouble a few times, but he didn't, which was nice to see and it cost him dabs. The whole point of no-stop - get it wrong and you pay with marks.

That Santigosa event looks a really good trial with good natural sections. Reminds me of the Hillsborough Classic event.

Hi

I was very impressed by the pictures and video of the El Puma Bultaco.

But they set me thinking.

When i watched the Perce Simon last year I breifly made a comment to a James rider that his bike looked and handled nothing like the James 250's I remembered in the early 60's.

My comment was not critical but one of admiration as to the level of preparation.

But it does beg the question "Exactly what is a genuine pre 65".

And now what is a genuine Sherpa judging by the pictured version with ?Beta forks?.

I have two Sherpa, a 91 (road reg, ground up rebuild) and 198-a.

I intend to keep the 91 original but am tempted to play with the 198-a perhaps starting with the head angle but wish to know how much the alter the angle or whether to just increase the length of the rear shocks.

Good video and pics thank you.

martin

Martin

I saw a El Puma James while in Spain a few weeks ago, gorgeous it was. Well that and another recently finished james that went very well.

I'd thought the same thing regarding tweaking a Sherpa Martin, but not going to happen to any of my originals. Plenty of bikes being broken now (Sadly) So maybe some orphan parts will turn up to create an enigma!

Wayne....