Front Wheel Out For A Clean

jamersby

Obviously not wet enough in Queensland then

Our rules say that the end pegs should be placed at least 2 metres clear of the last obstacle where possible

Its only really at club level that you find problems due to inexperienced section setters, generally goes hand in hand with pegs being placed where they are easily knocked over/pulled out

This reminded me of something which I read in a set of (Canadian?) trials rules

"The front wheel spindle must pass the section end markers before the rear wheel spindle"

It's fun trying to visualise the situation where that rule may need to be applied

You have never seen me on a sidecar. B)

You have never seen me on a sidecar. B)

You couldn't be worse than me PA

I tried to test ride a 348 Cota sidecar on flat damp smooth grass and could not get it to move forwards (I could go left but not forwards). Maybe it would have been easier if the passenger was not 100kg but I doubt it would have made much difference.

The flat damp grass was outside the scoring tent at a popular trial and after failing so miserably in front of so many people, including the people who campaigned that outfit for many years, I have avoided trying a sidecar again, even in secret.

My mate Cedric bought the outfit and the bike has been used solo for years now by his daughter Tharyn.

Put stick in ground - approx 300mm high

Stand a few yards away

Get mate to ride past - at approxTrials section speed

From your vantage point ( maybe someway off)

See if it easier to determine when Front Wheel spindle passes stick?

OR When rear wheel spindkle passes stick ?

Before Front wheel spindle passes - view obstructed by - Front tyre( 2.75) / spokes ( see tthrough ??)

Before rear wheel spindle passes - view obstructed by ? Whole machine ? Frame , engine, s/arm, riders legs if footing , chain , Rear tyre ( 4.00) chain guard and so on ??????

That should start some debate !!!!!!

why all the fuss It aint broke so it doesn't need fixing. Can you imagine late sections at a notional with back end of bike being the reference point it's bad enough keeping the front end out of the section..or what about getting bike lined up for best trajectory into section with the observer at top of section (eg. scottish) how will the observer know whats going on with backend of the bike better than front end? It's logical as it is and it makes sense and everybody in the world knows it. look at it another way a spirited attempt by rider just getting out arms & legs flying perhaps is better to observe than arguing with riders who may have all of the bike in the section before even making an attempt. Leave it as is, put ends cards sensible place, give benifit of the doubt. Havn't we got more pressing or interesting details to discuss?

I can't see a problem - 'if it aint broke don't fix it' i say.

I understand that this bloke didn't get out the top of the section as well as some others, but so what? within the rules he was out, why would you want to penalise him? poor bugger!

We also do not know what went on through the rest of the course, if he was a worse rider than the others i'm sure it would of evened it's self out. - cream generally rises.

Some of the conversations on here really do bemuse me!

feet up gents!

In this particular case it is as if the rider got away with loosing five marks, afterall the course setter pretty obviously meant the section to include the hill.

The rider managed to poke his wheel out and thus avoided the five marks he would have lost IF the cards had been a little further from the top of the climb.