240 Stood Up For 3 Years

slogger

New carb parts on and no leakes!!!

Is starting first kick but only with the choke on. Once the choke is off she dies. If I lift the choke slightly I can feather it enought to keep it on tickover.

Thoughts ????? Maybe a jet in the carb I have not fully cleaned ???

Mixture screw is 2.5 turns out from full in and idle screw half a turnout from full in. Have tweaked both but no difference.

Edited by slogger

I'd stop what you are doing if I was you and before you cause any more grief do yourself a favour and sell the old thing to me... :ph34r:

hmmmmmmmm was I tempted......not

having to much fun!

Slow idle jet was blocked, running much better now. Mixture screw is 3.5 turns out amd runs fine?????? as 2.5 its still hunting. I reckon its still not 100%?

Does anyone know stock settings? Think I will have the carb off again and give each jet a final once over

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Bike now running sweet.........

Starting easily and ticking over and picking up well.

Bought a full carb seal kit and changed the small seal at the top of the choke and the larger seal where the choke jet sits in the bottom of the float chamber (that one was missing!)

Reset mixture screw to 2.5 turns out and voil

Edited by slogger

Front forks done this weekend. Took them apart. Once again, no oil in them. Seals looked good so I did not disturb them. Had bought a new set but they looked different? The originals look about 3/4 inch deep but the new ones are much thinner?

Only 1 small pitting in the chrome but its above the max compression line.

Hopefully just a new front sprocket and front brake cable and she is ready for her maiden run!

She does look in a sorry state paintwork wise but hopefully once she has had a few outings she can start to be striped bit by bit......as well as allowing me a bit of fun!

Have just recieved parts from Bob Wright. Was after a front brake cable (as the adjuster that screws into the fork leg was shot). The cable itself has an adjuster on the end but its to short without the extra adjuster? Based upon posts previous, I was expecting to get the leg adjuster with the cable but it only has the one threaded with the cable?

Have I ordered the wrong part, should I have requested the leg adjuster as well or has Bob shipped the wrong part?

Would ring him but he is on holiday in france and one of his assistants put the order together and shipped the order?

whats peoples thoughts before I ring them back??

Have put the two cables end to end and they are identical in length and exposed inner. The only exception is that the original (bottom of two cables) had two adjusters. One physically attached to the cable and the second one was the one that screwed into the fork leg. As you can see by the photo, the fork leg adjuster is shot (hence the reason for buying a new cable as I beleived that it would be shipped with both?). The new cable on top only has the adjuster attached to the cable so I am no better off? Have I been shipped the wrong one (ie the 240 one should come with the fork leg adjuster) or should I be ordering the fork leg adjuster separate? If it is the later where is the best place to get them. I have seen 6mm adjuster on ebay ? are these a stock thread etc???????

R7101968.jpg

Neither of those cables look like Venhill's,Press Here you will see the 200 and 240 don't share the same part number,there is a very slight diffrence between the 2 cables,it might just be the case who ever made your cable(s) up has cut the cable off to long,get one of those screw on nipples and experiment with your old cable by cutting the cable to better size.You realy should'nt need an adjuster on top of the one supplied with the cable.

Edited by bilc0

Am, wondering if the problem is not the cable but the brake arm ? Have put it all together very rough and am surprised at the amount of movement on the arm before the brakes bind. The arm is also at quite a steep angle and close to the fork leg. I wonder if this is why the previous owner had two adjesters at the fork leg end? During the strip down I did not notice any splines to adjust the angle, just an ovalised rectangle (if you get my drift!).

Two requests:

1) Can anyone post or send me a picture of the completed brake assemble on theirs so I can compare the angles and adjusters

2) Can anyone measure what they believe is a correct cable in terms of overal lenght and the amonut (lenght of) bare wire with the nipple tight on one end so I can compare it?

thanks

Rob