Stainless Steel Rims

buzz9

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY ONE

Could any one recommend a supplyer of stainless steel rims and spokes for my triumph tiger cub wheel rebuilds ..or even better some one who could supply and rebuild

I have not been successfull in sourceing any local .. advise apppreciated

I have been told that stainless rims and spokes are not suitable for a competition bike,

the spokes are very brittle and snap easier than mild steel ones.

Alloy rims are also lighter and more forgiving than stainless ones.

Not too sure where I heard this,anyone else have this opinion?

Stainless look much nicer mind.

Hi - All my bikes are built with stainless spokes and rims for the older ones. I have had no problems with spokes or heard of any problems with modern parts. Spokes should have nickel plated brass nipples to avoid siezure of thread.

When you buy rims check the weld join (the one that closes the circle). This is a difficult weld and one of mine was supplied deformed which narrowed the rim width overly. Run a straight edge across weld to check width is acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

• 11 months later...

Sids Wheels will rebuild an existing rim/hub if supplied, not sure if he can supply all the parts, but if they are available, he can almost certainly get it sorted for you. He's based near Stafford, UK. He's very cheap and a really nice guy, he works from home which is why he is cheap, not because his work is cheap... He does all my mates classic bikes and recently did my Bultaco M159, laced on new stainless hubs from BultacoUK, on to existing rims using new stainless spokes. Nice work. Sids wheels, 07855 566 713, UK Post Code is ST21 6RP.

Hope this help someone.

Cheers

Mick

Ossas and some Bultacos had stainless steel spokes as standard fitment, so they must be strong enough for competition use.

I had my Ossa MAR wheels rebuilt nearly 20 years ago with new stainless steel spokes and that bike has been seriously used over the years and taken a good hammering. I've never even had to adjust a spoke in that bike, certainly never broken one.