4rt

the addict

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said before, fixed the problem with the fan when Gerts went into safe mode recognising there was a problem and shutting down. Spent today at the Yennards and after 40 mins she shut down again??? took her back to the van and on first glimpse noticed the headstock bearings are shot, seems Gerts has gone into safe mode after realising theres a problem again? what do you recon? or could it be more serious?

As said before, fixed the problem with the fan when Gerts went into safe mode recognising there was a problem and shutting down. Spent today at the Yennards and after 40 mins she shut down again??? took her back to the van and on first glimpse noticed the headstock bearings are shot, seems Gerts has gone into safe mode after realising theres a problem again? what do you recon? or could it be more serious?

I don't think headstock bearings are causing the bike to shut down to be realistic!

Two possibilities:

Your fuel pump is playing up, if it stops running or runs lumpy when it is fully up to working temerature and things get a bit hot - this is expensive to rectify (

OMG! :P

Bend over and take it! :huh:

Not much telling what's in the bottom of that tank?

:huh:

Will check all connections this week and remove the bank sensor, hoping its a bad connection to the regulator at the moment

Edited by The Addict

Had to change fuel pump on my 2005. Bike would be fine for 30 mins or so and then start to miss and not rev out. Let it cool down for a while and then would be fine until it got hot again.

I might have the wiring loom problem now as on tickover she misses a beat now and again as if the kill button has been pressed and released.

I might have the wiring loom problem now as on tickover she misses a beat now and again as if the kill button has been pressed and released.

Might be the plug, you have probably already eliminated this, but if not put a new one in or it could be the tickover set too low if it runs ok off tickover?

I know we don't spend a lot of money on spares for the 4RT's so when your not used to opening your wallet it comes as a bit of a shock :huh:

Changed the plug but not for a new one, tick over is set quite quick to avoid a stall so thinking its something in the wiring, connections etc. May try a brand new plug and a good strip down before spending too much. Not bad for a 5 year old bike that done a bit of work tho.

B*****ks!!!!!!! :huh: ragged all the elecy out earlier and everything looks like brand new, was kind of banking on a dodgy connector or wire somewhere. Will give Throttle body a good clean up later and see what happens

I live in hope :huh:

Edited by The Addict

When mine started playing up I swapped tanks with my mate which confirmed the problem was with the fuel system. However during the session of swapping tanks etc I inadvertently put some 2 stroke fuel in -it may be pure coincidence but the problem seemed less severe with a bit of pre mix in. Due to time constraints never got chance to see if this had any merit but if the problem is with the pump getting tight when warm a bit of lube may delay the inevitable. Something to try???

a bit of lube may delay the inevitable. Something to try???

Oh I will have to try that ;)

The Addict is knicking my tank early Sunday morning before the trial to try, plus taking my bike up there to swap any other parts if that don't work.

Looks like I will be all day Saturday marking all parts to make sure I get the correct ones back :o

B*****ks!!!!!!! :o ragged all the elecy out earlier and everything looks like brand new, was kind of banking on a dodgy connector or wire somewhere. Will give Throttle body a good clean up later and see what happens

I live in hope ;)

Including the wires that go to the coil?

Big John

Checked the coil wires last week John when the fan/radiator was off, checked just about every connection now and all in good nick, disconected the bank sensor so will give the bike a run Wednesday up the road and see what happens. Gizza has kindly offered me his bike and parts for Sunday and I'll swap tanks before the trial, I'm hoping it will breakdown at about section 3 :o which will at least confirm its not the fuel pump, this has got to be the only time I've ever wished a bike to fail at a trial, but it may well save me fair wad of notes if it does.

I'm still hoping the fan is not working as it should and the bike is shutting down because of it, seems odd this happened when I bent the fan,

Edited by The Addict

When these things first came out I was told by Sherco/Mont the dealer that if you nackered up a fuel tank it was $600, came with pump. That little thought has stuck in my mind to this day, as it is all a matter of time really.

Not sure how they are doing it nowadays, but doubt they are cheap.

Still wonder how much crap in the bottom of that tank? Have you ever flushed it? :o

As I know little about these things honda, is the fan and thermo switch tied to the FI system at all on these?

Edited by copemech