4rt Vs. Other 4-strokes?

jeffchri

You are talking about the Beta and Sherco 4-strokes, yes?

Correct, both share a lot of parts with their 2 stroke brothers & I would have thought would have better backup in the states

Which year did they stop importing montesas into the us?

If you ever do a search for performance parts for trials bikes you'll find there's probably 10 times as many bits for the monts available, big bore kits, flowed heads, larger throttle bodies & numerous louder exhausts. Going on that means that Bou etc have bikes nothing like a standard model

Reason for most of the top riders at world level being on monts is simple, honda have deeper pockets than any small niche manufacturer. A world title in trials costs them a lot less than a mx or road racing title

I just went down and looked at the 2009 Sherco 3.2 4T at our local dealer. Very small shop, but good guy named Frank there and has a unit going for a discount. Very tempting, jus because it's soooooo easy - he's literally 3 minutes down the road from me. :lol:

I note that that model has a two-map switch. I haven't heard anyone discuss that ... is it possible the "friendly" mode is considerably friendlier than what folks have been discussing? Or is most of the feedback based on "friendly" mode and the faster mode is for ... something else ...?

Also, when folks say the bike is "tiring to ride", what does that mean, exactly? How is it more tiring than another 4-stroke, or a 2-stroke?

Thanks for all the great info, folks. Very helpful.

I just went down and looked at the 2009 Sherco 3.2 4T at our local dealer. Very small shop, but good guy named Frank there and has a unit going for a discount. Very tempting, jus because it's soooooo easy - he's literally 3 minutes down the road from me. :)

I note that that model has a two-map switch. I haven't heard anyone discuss that ... is it possible the "friendly" mode is considerably friendlier than what folks have been discussing? Or is most of the feedback based on "friendly" mode and the faster mode is for ... something else ...?

Also, when folks say the bike is "tiring to ride", what does that mean, exactly? How is it more tiring than another 4-stroke, or a 2-stroke?

Thanks for all the great info, folks. Very helpful.

Hi Jeff, My understanding of the map switch is: position 1, is for muddy wet conditions and, position 2 is for dry surfaces. Hope that helps. Having a good guy dealer,

3 minutes from my home would help me make up my mind. I just purhased a new sherco 250 two stroke and it's a handful. And yes, my forearms get tired after after an hour. I can't speak for the other models.

Edited by rockyrider

Hi Jeff, My understanding of the map switch is: position 1, is for muddy wet conditions and, position 2 is for dry surfaces.

Exactly - so would position 1 maybe yield a map that was considerably friendlier than what has been described?

Edit: Oh, I also noted that someof the "guards" - front disc, sprocket, chain,etc. - were totally crappy plastic jobbers. Is there a reasonable aftermarket for the 3.2 for stuff like this? I know where to get Monty parts, I'm less clear what's available for Shercos in general and this Sherco in particular ...

Another edit: Just found out that it will be hell to get a new montesa into the US, due to EPA problems ... so getting a new one of those is likely a no-go at this point. Boo.

Edited by jeffchri

Exactly - so would position 1 maybe yield a map that was considerably friendlier than what has been described?

Edit: Oh, I also noted that someof the "guards" - front disc, sprocket, chain,etc. - were totally crappy plastic jobbers. Is there a reasonable aftermarket for the 3.2 for stuff like this? I know where to get Monty parts, I'm less clear what's available for Shercos in general and this Sherco in particular ...

Another edit: Just found out that it will be hell to get a new montesa into the US, due to EPA problems ... so getting a new one of those is likely a no-go at this point. Boo.

Jeff, Using a word like friendly to describe a high output trials bike may be a bit vague. Any one of these models could toss you on your ear in a heartbeat. Be considerate of this when choosing. I thought I wanted a 290 but, I was wisely steered to a 250 by a more knowledgeable person. For the same "friendly" reasons you mentioned. The plastic mud guards are just to keep things light, and the mud out.

Edited by rockyrider

Ah, the plot thickens ... now it looks like I have the following 3 options.

- 2007 Monty 4RT in good condition for about $6.5k

- 2008 Beta Rev 4T Race in very good condition for about $6.5k

- 2009 Sherco 3.2 brand new for $7.5k or so

From most of the input, it sounds like the 3.2 should be out for a beginner. That leaves the 4RT vs. the Beta. I've ridden the '05 4RT and liked it a lot ... which I know doesn't give you much info about what I like :), but just as a guess, would the Beta feel like that but "better" somehow? It sounds like, esp. in "Race" form, it will feel lighter and more powerful, but just as smooth and maybe more nimble than the 4RT? Also build quality on both is supposed to be good, yes?

Hi, If the Beta 300 Race you are referring to is located in Northern Calif., it has been sold. It was my riding buddie's bike. I have ridden it, and I own a 4rt, so I can provide a bit of a comparsion. To me, the Montesa is softer and easier to control down low. The Beta has more power, but it wasn't really usuable for trials, at least for myself, I'm not an expert trials rider. Also, the Beta had some weird quirks...He seemed to have one heck of time starting it when hot. In fact, he broke of his kickstarter once. The rear tire rubbed badly on the back fender. It's a beautiful bike though. For me, the only 4 stroke I would buy is the Montesa. A 4 stroke engine is very expensive to rebuild or some cases, repair. If I have the added complexity and potential expense of a 4 stroke, I want it developed and produced by HRC. The durablity and reliability is second to none. I do know of a couple for sale out in Northern Ca.

Ah, the plot thickens ... now it looks like I have the following 3 options.

- 2007 Monty 4RT in good condition for about $6.5k

- 2008 Beta Rev 4T Race in very good condition for about $6.5k

- 2009 Sherco 3.2 brand new for $7.5k or so

From most of the input, it sounds like the 3.2 should be out for a beginner. That leaves the 4RT vs. the Beta. I've ridden the '05 4RT and liked it a lot ... which I know doesn't give you much info about what I like :thumbup:, but just as a guess, would the Beta feel like that but "better" somehow? It sounds like, esp. in "Race" form, it will feel lighter and more powerful, but just as smooth and maybe more nimble than the 4RT? Also build quality on both is supposed to be good, yes?

Jeff,

Take a look at the Beta Rev-4T available here: http://www.tryalsshop.com/page-pre_owned.aspx

Condition is excellent. I know, cause it is mine!

- Darrell