Drowned My Beta Rev 3

simmsy

I have today dropped my bike in a river and it got fully submerged under the water it continued running under water for a couple of seconds gurgled and splutterd then stopped before I had the time to pick it up.

I have since managed to start it after draining the exhaust, carbureter and air box but it now runs crap. I have changed the plug air filter and checked the reads they look o.k I am currently draining the gear box oil.

What to do next??

Edited by simmsy

You're probably in for a carb disassemble. Drain the carb and blow out all the orifaces, jets and internal passages. All it takes is a drop of water or fleck of dirt blocking a jet to make it run lousy. Go after the electrical connectors with WD-40 to displace any water and that includes the kill switch. The primary side of the ignition is around 400V so it doesn't take much to partially short it out. Fresh tank of gas just in case you contaminated what's in the tank. Inspect the plug wire to make sure there are no cracks leaking spark.

As for the water in the engine itself it will dry out relatively quickly. The main problem that would worry me is if it was dirty water and carried dirt into the bearings of the lower end, connecting rod and piston/ring interface. Another thing that can be an issue is water blocking the exhaust though that will tend to clear itself rather quickly once the bike is started again.

Good luck

Edited by Dan Williams

''Drowned my Rev3''...did you have no choice?was it on fire? :o

Seriously though, like the above posts say, you've got to watch for any grit that's been carried into the engine.

Water ingress is relatively easy to remedy, i got away with totally drowning my Montesa once....

You know if you leave it alone it's got grit in it... and if you strip it down... it'll be as clean as a whistle...sods law!!

Could you remove the mains seals and top-end then flush everything out so you don't have to split the cases?

Would you have room to leave the engine in situ?I realise the Rev3 motor is a snug ft in the frame.

Edited by HAM2

Next time you decide to go up the Taff Jeff, take some scuba Gear!! WD 40 is the answer, dry her out electrics etc, clean the carb, change fuel and oil, she will be fine!!

Bit of luck I will join you in a week or so once I sort this Ferkin electrical problem out.

Patience is a virtue...i am told!!

Regards Bubba

I have today dropped my bike in a river and it got fully submerged under the water it continued running under water for a couple of seconds gurgled and splutterd then stopped before I had the time to pick it up.

I have since managed to start it after draining the exhaust, carbureter and air box but it now runs crap. I have changed the plug air filter and checked the reads they look o.k I am currently draining the gear box oil.

What to do next??

C'mon, some say it will be fine don't worry just clean the carb etc.....Others are informing me it's all over....WHAT ARE THE FACTS?????

I'd check the reeds again (disassemble them!). Water pumping into them will crack them really easily.

Ralphy

Nothing to do with this thread Ralphy but I spent a fews weeks in NZ last April and had a week in Taupo in a resort off of the Napier road.

You live in a lovely part of the world!