Rear Mudguard

smalley250

Think you're missing my point entirely!!

Everything you wrote is the same but they are cheaper in Europe (they are still manufactured and stored and pay tax over there you know) which mean that you are being ripped of in the UK - AGAIN!

They cost sweet FA to manufacture - Gas Gas rear guard been the same for how many years now?? 8 years?? so why has the cost gone up by 50%?

Something that cost

I happen to make moulds and extrusion dies for the plastic industry, and we run them here as well. Virgin material is not that expensive, around R13/kg. Thats about 2$/kg. A Gas Gas mudguard only weighs 340g so the material cost is 2$ for THREE! I dont see how that is expensive. A lot of the stuff we sell is heavier than a mudguard and we sell it for the equivalent of 4$, and still make a good profit after all costs are taken into account. Granted we do sell more items than they sell mudguards, but still.... What a ripoff! Maybe it's the super titanium impregnated, carbon fiber inspired sticker that is so expensive to make.... :o

Well make some mudguards then............!

Gasgas guard up to 2009 were made of a very flexible plastic that even cold could bend back on itself without breaking (most of the time). The one they have now 2009 on is a much more brittle plastic. I'm on my third one now where I rode about 5 years since I broke a pre 2009 one. Beta seem to have gone the other way. They used to brake if you farted on them but now fold around just fine.

It could be that this was planned by GG to sell more or it could be that the new material is cheaper. Either way we loose out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in some if they are flexible. I spoke to Andy of GGUK at the SSDT last year and they were struggling getting stock and concidering making some themselves. If you get a good guard that flexes like the older ones maybe you can find a market through GGUK too.

I await seeing the results of your efforts.

I agree with spark on how the guards are made as a toolmaker myself, any guard that has detail such as wiring clips or pins will always be injection moulded.

Fuel tanks are normally blow moulded or rotary moulded, front guards would be the only major parts that would lend themselves to vacuum forming

Sorry to opur cold water on the idea

the 2010 evo gaurds are really brittle, had 06 rev3 for 4 years never broke one rear gaurd and dropped it many times, first outing on evo cracked gaurd sliding against a tree , as for the front, does not look like thats going to take much stick, have not worked out how to use clip ties on the beta rear. interested in ordering from abroad, any surgestions who,??

I agree with spark on how the guards are made as a toolmaker myself, any guard that has detail such as wiring clips or pins will always be injection moulded.

Fuel tanks are normally blow moulded or rotary moulded, front guards would be the only major parts that would lend themselves to vacuum forming

Sorry to opur cold water on the idea

I was talking about aftermarket guards that I seen, they dont have the cable loops etc so could be vac formed, indeed the frame guards that I was concentrating on are definately vac formed, thats mainly what I was getting at. As far as injection moulding goes I thinkthat would be a little expensive for me to do on my own so would have to have a prototype made then sub the work out.

Yeah for sure the aftermarket guards are vacuum formed because it is cheap and you can get away with it. However I don't think vacuum forming for mudgaurds is a great idea because it's not gonna have the quality of finish of the originals, unless that is not important to you.

The outer profile would also have to be trimmed. Then what about the undercuts underneath the mudguard that hook onto the bike? Maybe you can do away with them but I noticed on my new Gas Gas mudguard that it helps a lot in keeking the guard stable, and also the cable ties last longer. My old one had this piece broken off to compare to. Not saying you can't do it, because of course you can, just pointing out the shortfalls of the process.