I Am I Being Realistic

tomog

As long as it is in good order it will be fine for that commute. My mate bought one new and used to trial it at weekends and ride to work on it in the week. His journey was about 5 or 6 miles each way in Birmingham with 30 or 40mph speed limits so speed wasn't an issue.

One of the TL125's I owned, I used for commuting to-from Hereford and the shops (10 miles each way); what you'll need look for is:

- most TL125's don't have the switchgear and ignition lock, so practice those hand signals

- suitable lighting, ie decent front and rear

- change the front and rear sprocket; I got a road-biased one from David Silver Spares

- tyres, go for a harder trials tyre (like a Pirelli) or one of the budget options, like a Vee Rubber; some road fitments (9090 18 front, 100/100 rear) may fit also, Continental TKC's maybe

In terms of 10 miles each way, excellent fun, especially in traffic. but ypu'll not need to use 1st, except if you a couple of off-road short-cuts/

Cheers for your help

So far, everything’s going to plan …

I am aware it’s not going to have the road standards of a newer 125 but I still expect it’ll be a vast improvement over the 50cc moped I own now.

I guess an ignition switch can be added. I am ok with signalling for indictors. I guess generally lighting can easily be added with a switch but is there anyway way to add a brake light?

How much should I be paying for a good running tl125, I was thinking around the

Edited by Tomog

Hi in 1977 I bought a 2 year old TL125 and used it for work daily, and any spare minute I had I was riding round a quary near my house, It was great fun and as mentioned you can easily change the gearing by changing the sprockets to make it usable on and off road, I even took my test on mine and past first time but it was easy in them days.

You should be able to get a fairly good bike for

My TL125 was my first trials bike & acted as back-up for my BSA 441 road bike.

Hence it got a lot of road use, as well as a proper trashing in my first few trials.

192 marks lost first time.

So okay on the road depending on gearing. Lights - poor, yes I had to add a lighting coil.

Gearing - I overgeared mine with a road bike sprocket so much that on a ride from Surrey to the Lake District I only used top gear once!

The biggest prob will be costs, somehow these old bikes are "sought after classics". I'm not sure why.

Edited by hrc1

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Again I'd love to discuss the lights. I found a light kit from an MR175. It's the same lights. The bulb was blown in the headlight thou. Can you use a 12 volt bulb? I ordered the 6v25/25w bulb. still waiting for it. If the headlight bulb goes does it cause the taillight to go out as well?